All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• new 003.jpg
    new 003.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 494
  • new 010.jpg
    new 010.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 518
I dont have scale to weigh it but it feels about like a rock of that size would feel. I know its not melted metal and dont know of anything else that would look like that when melted. I dont have a clue.
Steve

Upvote 0
natural minerail - arsenopyrite ( think of it as "fools silver" but worth some money possibly -- looks silver but its not )-- kind of similar in looks to "fools gold" --sodium pyrite but silver in color --- the sodium is what makes "fools gold" it look yellowish like gold --- guess you can call it "fools silver" --- both are forms of pyrite with differant "other" chemicals in their make up which causes the color differance --- hope this helps -- seems to have nice value amoung some rock and mineral collectors so check it out --- Ivan

Upvote 0
Hi Steve

Is your discriminator turned all the way down? If so then it must be gem material of some kind for you can see the crystal structures in it.

Is the crystalline structure hard, does it refract light or just reflect it?

Looks like a paste broach that was melted, but those could be real gems too.

If it is iron pyrite here is some info:

Pyrite is an iron sulfide generated by sulphur reacting with iron present in sedimentary rock (limestone & sandstone) in a reducing environment. It comes in an astonishing array of forms -- from discoids (also known as sunflowers), to suns, to perfect cubes -- all in the same glittering, glassy, golden shade. When found with quartz crystals (as it often is), the encrustation of pyrite causes the quartz to form delicate, needle-like points unlike any you've seen before! Pyrite is also part of what makes Lapis Lazuli (a vivid blue rock with pyrite veins) such a popular stone for tumbling, beads, and carving.

let us know what you find and thanks for sharing

Sanat

Upvote 0
definately natural.
geometric crystals give it away as naturally occuring.

try looking in mindat under your location:
http://www.mindat.org/
(oh, George, I see you are already there....)
or you can try a local mineral group or your state
mineralogical/georaphical surveys websites.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back