estate buy out we need help

heritage1991

Greenie
Jun 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20160612_095136.jpg20160612_094214.jpg20160612_094557.jpg20160612_093410.jpg20160612_094741.jpg20160612_094340.jpg20160612_093244.jpgWe purchased the contents of an old New England home everything seems to be around late eighteen-hundreds early nineteen-hundreds but we are looking for makers and value and in particular wondering about all of these beautiful frames

I am not sure where you are located... but I am sure with very little research / "yellow pages"... you will find that auction houses are everywhere.

OR... list entire contents for one price on Craigslist.
OR... piece it out on Craigslist.

Auction houses can and will make the "shortest work" out of it.
If you are looking to squeeze every penny than you will have sell it yourself which will take time in most cases...
at least in "my area"... heh

Do a google search for auction houses in your area.

Upvote 0
To add to AARCs suggestions, I would look for an auction site that specializes in antique furniture.

Upvote 0
your stuff looks more like 1940's to me, its value is not all that great

Upvote 0
You should be able to get a lot more info from your local antique dealers. Many dealers also take in consignments, plus that's the place folks in the market for antique furniture have a tendency to look for the things they want to buy. Put the word "antiques" followed with your area zip code in google and start calling all the dealers that come up. Your way better off to have a person in the business check out your stuff up close, then ask around the internet. Way to many details to look over when it comes to old furniture by just pictures on the web.

Looks like a nice buy pending on what you paid :dontknow:

Upvote 0
You have some great pieces there. The frames are super popular. Get it all examined and the it's up to you how you want to dispose of it...

Upvote 0
I didnt know those old frames were popular. I never could sell them.

Pull out a drawer and look for the dovetail joints.

Upvote 0
Besides the clock, pic 5 and 7 the chest of drawers and the desk may be old. The handles might not be original. They look kinda shiny. Pull out a drawer and take a picture of the dovetails. I have a similar desk with the same glass, same shaped top and the same brass handles as the chest in my warehouse and its 1800s.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The top and bottom of that desk may be 2 different sets. I have an old 2 piece desk (pic1) that kinda matches the top piece of your pic 7. The desk was in my family and its 1800s. Mine even has candle wax on it from some ancestor reading at night.

desk.jpegdesk heritage.jpg
desk2.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
have you really given them a good look for makers labels?

Upvote 0
Dovetails don't really mean as much as pulling a large drawer out and look at the bottom. See if it's made with one piece of wood.
The reason is the large trees were gone fairly soon and later furniture drawer bottoms were pieced together.
Machine dovetails were newer. Look for any markings.
You could consider having them appraised before turning them over to an auction house. Then at least you'd have information
to do your research. They could tell you the style even if they weren't old. Easier to advertise a William and Mary then just an old piece.
Type of wood etc. All this information translates into more money.
Just be clear your paying for an appraisal that's all so you don't get hustled. Dealers like to buy cheap and sell high.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back