IMG_0018.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 487
  • IMG_0020.JPG
    IMG_0020.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 506
  • IMG_0021.JPG
    IMG_0021.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 497
I don't know a lot about errors. It looks like it might be (at least to me). Some others may be able to shed more light on it.

Upvote 0
It appears to be pinched--where the missing piece was removed. Try using a pair of wire cutters or tin snips and you'd get the same result...a pinching where the two halves of the nippers come together. I'd say it was probably cut off, rather than a substandard blank.

Upvote 0
hmm, the "cut" seems to have a radius or arc to it.
I wonder if you butt up another dime to the clipped area if the diameter will match the arc.
That may give a clue if it were clipped by the die or maybe something else.

Attachments

• dimes.jpg
    dimes.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 372
Upvote 0
I am not an expert....but I have done a ton of reading and have collected a few error coins. I am 99% sure it's a clipped planchet.
Here is a great website to learn about all kinds of coins. Lots of great people who have tons of info to share.
http://forums.collectors.com/

Upvote 0
honeywah said:
I am not an expert....but I have done a ton of reading and have collected a few error coins. I am 99% sure it's a clipped planchet.
Here is a great website to learn about all kinds of coins. Lots of great people who have tons of info to share.

Hmmm, I'm always a little suspicious of people who have fewer than 5 posts on TNet and are tauting the benefits of other forums. Please provide some examples of clipped planchets, since you have done "a ton of reading" about them this request should be fairly easy for you. Photos, for comparison, would be greatly appreciated. If the confirmed chipped planchets have a similar look to them, I'll be happy to agree with your assessment of the coin here on this thread. For whitesid's benefit, I truly hope you're correct.

Upvote 0
TreasureTales said:
honeywah said:

Hmmm, I'm always a little suspicious of people who have fewer than 5 posts on TNet and are tauting the benefits of other forums. Please provide some examples of clipped planchets, since you have done "a ton of reading" about them this request should be fairly easy for you. Photos, for comparison, would be greatly appreciated. If the confirmed chipped planchets have a similar look to them, I'll be happy to agree with your assessment of the coin here on this thread. For whitesid's benefit, I truly hope you're correct.
Easy, Treasure. I've been to the forums she's talking about and they're a really good source of information. I don't think she's shilling, just sharing.

Upvote 0
af1733 said:
TreasureTales said:
honeywah said:

Easy, Treasure. I've been to the forums she's talking about and they're a really good source of information. I don't think she's shilling, just sharing.

OK, thanks for reining me in. My apologies to honeywah.

Upvote 0
whitesid said:
i found this coin today. it looks like a clipped planchet but it can also be cut. what do you think

On the front side on the edge to the right of Liberty it looks like a bad spot on the rim. Also on the back on the bottom the same bad spot.

Possibly held with pliers and clipped with cutters on the oposite side. Just my opinion.

Upvote 0
TreasureTales said:
af1733 said:
TreasureTales said:
honeywah said:

OK, thanks for reining me in. My apologies to honeywah.
:)

Upvote 0
If you look at the coin closely you will see something called the Blakesley effect. The effect is simple, really. Wherever a planchet is clipped, the die pressure is low because there is nothing for the dies to hit. As a result, 180* away from the clip (ie across from it) there is also less pressure to strike the coin, which will result in a soft strike opposite the clip. Notice how the rim across from the clip is kind of mushed up- that's the effect.

The effect's significance is in determining a genuine or fake clip. Only a real clip will show the weakness, so if you know what to look for, you won't be caught with an "error" made with some scissors.

This is some info I copied from the website I mentioned above.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back