Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
U.jpg
In probably one of the oddest items to come to the world of coin collecting, Dallas-based Heritage Auctions has announced the sale of a Roosevelt dime that was accidentally (or some say deliberately) struck onto a zinc nail.
Yes, that piece of ironmongery used to repair your roof.
The dime/nail is estimated to be worth roughly $10,000.

A spokesman for the U.S. Mint was unavailable to answer the question of whether the nail/dime is considered valid currency.
The Heritage auction that includes the nail/dime also includes several other notable error coins. There will be a 1943 Lincoln penny struck in bronze, which would seem not out of the ordinary except for the fact that the U.S. Mint changed the composition of the penny in 1943 to steel to save copper for the war effort. 1943 bronze pennies typically sell for $200,000 to $300,000.
On the flip side, Heritage will also be auctioning a 1944 penny that was struck in steel, not bronze.
The auction for the dime/nail will be Jan. 6 as part of a larger Heritage auction. Electronic bidding for the coin has already started, however. The current price for the item is $3,200.

http://news.yahoo.com/error-coin-dime-struck-onto-165252745.html

151219_dime_nail.jpg

My opinion this as done on Purpose. Not an Error.
if accidental odds are it would not be centered.

Last edited:
and how was it "found"? i dont see how it could be and accident. Next time, i will check my nail apron a little better!

I wished I worked at the mint I could have made a lot of neat stuff.

I hate to tell you but a Mint employee caught intentionally causing Coin Errors, is likely only going to make unemployment pay for a period of time!:BangHead:

Frank

Yeah but 10k for each nail you can strike before your caught could cover your expenses for a while haha :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back