New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Everyone,
When I first dug this I thought 'Coin' :hello2:
After rinsing and then recovering the monogram (another question: what letter/letters is it ?)
I am thinking now Bridle rosette, but with no attachment points ?
all others I've dug were lead filled with iron loops.
The three bent pins held the monogram.
40 X 2.5 MM with beveled edge, Copper alloy.
the heavy 1 X 3/4" buckle was nearby, & appears tack related.
after looking at the photos again, maybe the 2 raised areas on back was where loop was attached
Thanks for looking & HH to all :thumbsup:

Attachments

• nc finds 03-18 009.jpg
    nc finds 03-18 009.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 342
  • nc finds 03-18 008.jpg
    nc finds 03-18 008.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 335
  • nc finds 03-18 020.jpg
    nc finds 03-18 020.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 330
  • nc finds 03-18 008.jpg
    nc finds 03-18 008.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 341
  • nc finds 03-18 009.jpg
    nc finds 03-18 009.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 313
  • nc finds 03-18 019.jpg
    nc finds 03-18 019.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 321
  • nc finds 03-18 018.jpg
    nc finds 03-18 018.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:
Thanks All,
i'm thinking it may be a 2 or 3 letter monogram,
(does that make it a 'Multigram' :tongue3: )
T D C :dontknow:

Upvote 0
daroofa said:
Looks like a variation of an Old English C.

Definitely a script "E", the design just looks like there are more letters in it.

Here is a Confederate script "E" button http://www.civilwarbuttons.com/cc0807058.JPG several on the same page and most slightly different design (but still Script "E").

Hope this helps.

Sky Pilot

Upvote 0
Here in Virginia, we relic-diggers frequently encounter items marked with Old English lettering. I though I was sure about which specific letter is on your item, but I wanted to confirm by websearching. Now I can tell you for certain that it is a T written in Old English.

http://www.designerstencils.com/Mer...=DS&Product_Code=3110&Category_Code=Lettering
But please note, that website is incorrect in labeling this lettering as Old English Script. It is not script, as the letter E in the chart shows. Check the Albert button-book and you'll see he describes the letters on certain Confederate buttons as being Old English, not Old English Script. We relic-hunters are incorrect in calling those buttons a "script" I or A, etc.

Attachments

• markings_Old-English-lettering_3110.gif
    markings_Old-English-lettering_3110.gif
    22.8 KB · Views: 8,674
Upvote 0
Please note that the WaterburyButton dotcom's Old-English "E" (and the Old-English "C" and "E" on Confederate buttons) all have a sharp-pointed tip at the middle of the top of the letter. But on Steelheadwill's monogram, the entire top of the letter is a long smooth "swirl." That is what's on the "T" in the chart I posted ...and also on the Old-English "T" button at the Waterbury Button dotcom website. But note, the photo there is upside-down! http://www.waterburybutton.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=24&idproduct=19881

Here's the Waterbury Old-English "T" button photo, but in the correct orientation, instead of upside-down. :)

Attachments

• marking_Old-English-T_button_WaterburyButtonDotcom_11912.jpg
    marking_Old-English-T_button_WaterburyButtonDotcom_11912.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 1,466
Upvote 0
TheCannonballGuy said:
Please note that the WaterburyButton dotcom's Old-English "E" (and the Old-English "C" and "E" on Confederate buttons) all have a sharp-pointed tip at the middle of the top of the letter. But on Steelheadwill's monogram, the rntire top of the letter is a long smooth "swirl." That is what's on the "T" in the chart I posted ...and also on the Old-English "T" button at the Waterbury Button dotcom website. But note, the photo there is upside-down! http://www.waterburybutton.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=24&idproduct=19881

Here's the Waterbury Old-English "T" button photo, but in the correct orientation, instead of upside-down. :)

I go with the T :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0
Thanks All :notworthy:
Gotta say it's a match for the T on Cannonballguys button.
next question: is it a bridle rosette, or something else ?
I appreciate everyones help !!
Good Day & Great Digs to all ;D

Upvote 0
TheCannonballGuy said:
Please note that the WaterburyButton dotcom's Old-English "E" (and the Old-English "C" and "E" on Confederate buttons) all have a sharp-pointed tip at the middle of the top of the letter. But on Steelheadwill's monogram, the entire top of the letter is a long smooth "swirl." That is what's on the "T" in the chart I posted ...and also on the Old-English "T" button at the Waterbury Button dotcom website. But note, the photo there is upside-down! http://www.waterburybutton.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=24&idproduct=19881

I see what you're talking about TCBG! :thumbsup:

Thanks all!

Sky Pilot

Upvote 0
Thanks Everyone !!
I now know it was recovered from a property listed as 'Tibbets' on 1871 map :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back