English, Scottish and French finds.

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Detected today between two villages fairly close to home. The finds were a fairly mixed bunch. The site tends to produce plenty of 17th century material, and today was no different. The copper coins are top centre, what I think is a 17th century Scottish copper coin, bottom left a farthing of Charles II , and bottom right, a copper farthing of James I. The broken silver coin, looks like a penny of Edward III, 1327-77. The button is French, the loop on the back is a bird cage type, it probably dates to the Napoleonic era. This area does curiously, produce these French buttons from time to time. Robert.

Attachments

• IMG_9301.JPG
    IMG_9301.JPG
    405.2 KB · Views: 95
Upvote 18
French buttons in UK? Wonder how they got there. Looks like a high dome button with birdcage what dates it somewhere between 1804 and 1844. :icon_thumright:

French buttons in UK? Wonder how they got there. Looks like a high dome button with birdcage what dates it somewhere between 1804 and 1844. :icon_thumright:
Hello Westfront, nice to hear from you, hope you are well. I've had a few French buttons in this area, over the years. I think they are either soveniers , taken by British troops from the French after battles . Or maybe from French prisoners of war. The French prisoners in England would have been put to work in the fields. Robert.

Very nice smorgasbord of copper. Sounds like that village was well traveled.

Great finds Rob

Nice results for a hunt Rob, liking the coppers and button. Too bad the Hammie was broken, best of luck on the next outing.

If you can post a pic of the reverse side of the Scottish coin, I may be able to help you with its ID.
Then again, you may have already ID-ed it.
Don......
Hello Don, Cru's done it. Here's a picture of the other side anyway. Robert.

Attachments

• IMG_9309.JPG
    IMG_9309.JPG
    435.9 KB · Views: 69
Very nice hunt, congratulations! :occasion14:

robfinds,
Yes, Cru's ID seems spot on. The complete legend would read CAR DG SCOT ANG FRA ET HIB R.
There were three different reverses of this coin; all had to do with the spelling of one word: LACESSET, or LACESSIT, or LACESST
Don.....

robfinds,
Yes, Cru's ID seems spot on. The complete legend would read CAR DG SCOT ANG FRA ET HIB R.
There were three different reverses of this coin; all had to do with the spelling of one word: LACESSET, or LACESSIT, or LACESST
Don.....
Cheers Don, We find a lot of Scottish coppers in the North of England. Robert.

Nice one Cru. This area turns up a lot of 17th century finds.:icon_thumleft:

Interesting.

We don't get so many Scottish coins down here, but I think I've had about 2 of that type maybe 3.

Cru,
If you have 2 or 3 varieties of that coin, you may have one of the fourth variety; showing the (extremely rare) bust of Charles I on the obverse versus what the OP is showing above (noted as Seaby's 5603a--Part 4, First Edition 1972: Coins and Tokens of Scotland).
Don......

Cru,
If you have 2 or 3 varieties of that coin, you may have one of the fourth variety; showing the (extremely rare) bust of Charles I on the obverse versus what the OP is showing above (noted as Seaby's 5603a--Part 4, First Edition 1972: Coins and Tokens of Scotland).
Don......
From memory I think mine are the standard type. I wasn't sure if that was a bust or not on Rob's coin. Nice if it is??

FLAMING BOMB < AWESOME FINDS

Amazing finds ... Thanks for the great post!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back