English Buckle?

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello!A friend recently dug this buckle and was hoping to get any info on it?
new.jpg

Ofcourse, the first question is where was it found? Though I found nothing exactly like it, I did find some indicators to what it might be, and its time period. First of all, the clasp is very different from what I've seen in the past, and, I might ad, finding both pieces makes its value so much more. Whatever that would be. But it has all the ear markings of an 1800's British Victorian Senior Naval Officer's Sword Buckle. Like I said, the configurations of the crown and anchors are not the same as what I've found, nor the way it clasps, but those symbols point in that direction. Hope that helps...

Upvote 0
Thanks,It came from the west coast.Give me what ya got Cru,I respect your opinion and knowledge

Upvote 0
Thanks Hammered!!

Upvote 0
hammered said:
kuger said:
Thanks Hammered!!

That's OK :icon_thumleft:, I just hope Cru agrees :laughing7:

Nah,didnt figure he could honor me with his opinion,yours is just as good :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
The ones pictured in the two links are belt slides,this one appears to actually be a buckle??

Upvote 0
kuger said:
The ones pictured in the two links are belt slides,this one appears to actually be a buckle??

To be truthfull, kuger, the item your friend dug is complete, or so it seems. The examples, so far compared, are incomplete, they are obviously from the same bit of kit, so a true id is a bit of an educated guess. It could be a slide or a variation of a "snake" type buckle in my opinion, from the pics. The fact that it is Navy is not in question, how corroded the hook/link is, may be the answer. I still think it is a slide of sorts and will continue to research it for you. I hope that you/we will get/find a true answer :thumbsup:.

hammered

Upvote 0
Very true Hammered,and thanks I appreciate it!!

I understand Cru!I wouldnt expect anything less as long as you were whooped from a long day of digging!! :laughing7:

Upvote 0
kuger said:

Yes, yours does appear to be a buckle. The link I provided was (hopefully) giving clearer details and some additional info (St. Edward's crown) to better track this down.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ouled+anchor+buckle?&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

"When the Merchant Navy started to use the foul anchor device, a crown was added for all naval officers in 1812. The same basic design remains in use today." (granted, the page is about buttons, but it tells of the year the crown was added)

Still searching, but have only found partials and all on the UK site.

Upvote 0
Kenosha Kid said:
kuger said:

Yes, yours does appear to be a buckle. The link I provided was (hopefully) giving clearer details and some additional info (St. Edward's crown) to better track this down.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ouled+anchor+buckle?&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

"When the Merchant Navy started to use the foul anchor device, a crown was added for all naval officers in 1812. The same basic design remains in use today." (granted, the page is about buttons, but it tells of the year the crown was added)

Still searching, but have only found partials and all on the UK site.

Thanks Kid,I hope I can return the favor someday :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back