Encrusted disk becomes sweet token

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites MXT, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Token obverse 110523.jpgToken reverse 110523.jpg

I found this last week ( I know, supposed to be today's finds). It was very dark and very crusty. Thought it might be a two cent piece due to size, but seemed thin. Tried to use electrolysis to clean it, but I had let my electrolysis set up get so corroded, it would no longer deliver a current :BangHead:. So finally got to the hardware store to pick up some new wires and clips, and spent a couple hours giving the disk some serious electrocuting and toothpicking. Turns out to be a token of quite nice design. So I wanted to share it.

Love finding historical stuff like this.

Trying to find some info on it...the back was more telling, though more lightly struck. It says "The J.M. Brunswick & Balke Co." around the rim. In the center is "Check" in a large fancy style. The Brunswick and Balke Company produced Billiards Tables and was a forerunner to the current Brunswick Company known for sporting equipment (think bowling). Given that Brunswick bought Balke and later Collender, I believe that would put the production date of this token somewhere between 1874 and 1884. I could not find any information on Durkee & Whitney, listed on the front of the token. I'm guessing maybe Durkee and Whitney were distributors of Brunswick & Balke Billiards Tables. Thoughts?

Today's (last week's) finds...

Token, good for five cents, Brunswick & Balke Co.

PBS

Upvote 21
Thanks Red-Coat! You always manage to deliver the goods!

PBS

View attachment 2115397View attachment 2115398

I found this last week ( I know, supposed to be today's finds). It was very dark and very crusty. Thought it might be a two cent piece due to size, but seemed thin. Tried to use electrolysis to clean it, but I had let my electrolysis set up get so corroded, it would no longer deliver a current :BangHead:. So finally got to the hardware store to pick up some new wires and clips, and spent a couple hours giving the disk some serious electrocuting and toothpicking. Turns out to be a token of quite nice design. So I wanted to share it.

Trying to find some info on it...the back was more telling, though more lightly struck. It says "The J.M. Brunswick & Balke Co." around the rim. In the center is "Check" in a large fancy style. The Brunswick and Balke Company produced Billiards Tables and was a forerunner to the current Brunswick Company known for sporting equipment (think bowling). Given that Brunswick bought Balke and later Collender, I believe that would put the production date of this token somewhere between 1874 and 1884. I could not find any information on Durkee & Whitney, listed on the front of the token. I'm guessing maybe Durkee and Whitney were distributors of Brunswick & Balke Billiards Tables. Thoughts?

PBS
Nice find.

View attachment 2115397View attachment 2115398

PBS
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back