Attachments

• badge.JPG
    badge.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 423
  • badge back.JPG
    badge back.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 410
Re: Enamel Badge but for what??

Cool pin! Hopefully my google searches haven't misled me, but from what I can tell it seems that it may not date to 1911, but rather this references when the British Empire Games started. Cultural and sporting events were held to celebrate the Coronation of King George V. Clearly this was from the Australian contingency. It has to be older than 1966, as the word "Empire" was changed that year. It would be cool if was from the first year of the games, and it may be... but I've already said more than I know.

Upvote 0
No wonder I couldn't find what it was used for! This is the answer from a Badge Expert:

"Great badge!-shame about the condition –from the net :::

The 1911 Festival of Empire, a great exposition in which all of the overseas dominions of the British Commonwealth took part, was held in conjunction with the coronation of King George V. The Festival took place at Crystal Palace and the centre of attraction was the Pageant of London, an enormous enterprise. Some 15,000 performers, representing all walks of life, took part, and by the time the pageant had finished its four month run, it had been seen by over four million people.

--Clearly the badge relates to the Dominions –Australia & New Zealand—However the exact purpose of the badge is in question

Maybe the representatives of the Dominions –Australia and New Zealand were given the badges to wear-clearly an unusual item"

Upvote 0
Interesting post and find!

The name of the maker is John R. Gaunt— "G" as in golf— also a major manufacturer of British buttons. Here's a list of the firm's various marks and dates:

GAUNT
J R Gaunt & Son Birmingham (1870-1973)
J R Gaunt & Sons London (1884-1899, but also used well after this date)
J R Gaunt & Sons LTD London (1899-1991)
J R Gaunt & Sons LTD London ENG (1899-1991)
J R Gaunt & Sons LTD London ENGLD (1899-1991)
J R Gaunt & Sons LTD London England (1899-1991)
J R Gaunt & Sons LTD NY & London (after 1900)
J R Gaunt & Sons Montreal (dates?)
J R Gaunt & Son LTD Montreal Made in England (c.1901-c.1939?)
J R Gaunt & Son LTD Montreal (c.1914-c.1939)
J R Gaunt & Sons LTD Late Jennens London (1940-1948)
Gaunt London (1950's/60's on)
Gaunt London Eng (1950's/60's on)
J R Gaunt & Sons purchased by Firmin and Sons, Ltd. (1991)

Upvote 0
Nice find digfinds.This in my opinion is a token of good will and not an official badge.The official Coat of Arms has a Emu and Kangaroo and New Zealand has its own Coat of Arms as it is own country.No kangas in New Zealand only Kiwi's and sheep lol.

tinpan HH

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back