Elmers (white) Glue??

I don't know about elmer's but I did see something about a hot glue gun being used on cruddy coins.

If I may add my meager experience to the group? ;D I had read a number of fine articles on cleaning the old Roman coins that I bought, and find that there is no substitute for infinite patience. (That's OK, I'm really good at nit-picky stuff.) First I want to say that I will never, ever again use Olive Oil! The batch that I started is going to take years to clean, and once it soaks in, you can never again use distilled water soaks. I'm having terrific luck due to a posting by a gentleman who steered me to a site that recommends repeated soaking and brushing with distilled water. Here's the relevant part to this post: between soakings I use Elmer's glue on first one side and then the other. Head and shoulders better than the hot glue gun that I purchased for the purpose!! Rather than pick off remnants of the glue, which could damage the coin, I take off anything that comes off fairly easily and then dump them into a fresh soak, which removes the rest of the glue too. Hope this helps, since I relied heavily on others to get started myself.

Sorry, I had missed these posts. Thanks for the info. Also, I think you can place the glue-covered coins in the freezer, and the expannsion rate being different between the metal & the glue will assist in "cracking" the glue loose. I need to give it a try on somethng just to see how it works.

Smitty

I did end-up trying this on a few crusty clad coins. I just laid them on the wax paper & gave them a generous coating of white glue. I let them set a couple days, didn't put them in the freezer during any portion of the process.

After a couple days, I was able to peel the dried glue right off, no residue or "sticking" where the glus was concerned. I did peel-off alot of visible crud, which was imbedded in the glue. It almost looked as though the coin was still in the glus, because of the dirt removed.

I think this would be a good thing for anyone to try if they were interested, white glue is pretty cheap. According to the article I had read, this will in no way damage a coin, which I'd be inclined to believe.

Smitty

I read somewhere about the glue as well, maybe here. I have never tried glue, but tried duct tape on a buffalo nickle once. It worked really good! I rinsed the loose dirt off with warm water, let the coin dry, and then applied the duct tape. I used a tooth pick to lightly trace the details of the coin through the duct tape. After I was satisfied the tape was in all the nooks and crannies I peeled it off. I guess you could say I gave that old Indian a bikini wax!! LOL! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back