Ellis Island Child - Bronze Statue - Need Experts Help.... PLEASE

Wheels

Jul 31, 2006
Here is a good one. Most difficult one I ever posted. ...Ellis Island is a very important part of History, it is how the United States became what it is today. If any of you want to check the history, go ahead you will learn a lot about this contry.
Anyway, I’m trying to find out some information about my bronze statue. I don’t know anything about her but she makes a big impact on my feelings and emotions. The statue is of a little girl with her head facing down holding her dolly tight. When I’m around her I get this feeling of “Sadness & Loneliness”, but being “Happy & Safe” at the same time. I’m 50 years old; when I show her to my older friends they also are overcome with an empty feeling inside. She is 21 inches Tall, by 15 inch in diameter at her base, weighs around 45 pounds, and is signed Hazel 1/20. I can see that she is quite old, I’m guessing around 100 years old. In all my research I haven’t been able to find anything about her. I would think if there are 19 other statues out there, there should be some kind of information, but my gut tells me that she is the only one.
Recently I saw an episode on the History Channel about Ellis Island; I looked at the little girl and wanted to cry. I think this statue is something special. If it does have anything that connects this artist with Ellis Island this could be a Big part of history, and I would like to get this statue to the place where it belongs. Can you ALL help me? Thanks.

Attachments

• girlbronze1.jpg
    girlbronze1.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 139
  • $(KGrHqR,!i!E9htEG3c9BPdSDBC2wQ~~60_14.jpg
    $(KGrHqR,!i!E9htEG3c9BPdSDBC2wQ~~60_14.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 461
  • girlbronze2.jpg
    girlbronze2.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 114
  • girlbronze3.jpg
    girlbronze3.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 119
Upvote 0
Hi Wheel interesting statue, sorry can't help you on statue. That something you found with a detector or a family item? CARM

Being that the statue is 1 of 20...this could be the firtst and only creation...

Is there a foundary name on the base?

Looks like there is an initial in front of the signature...maybe a "C"?

Congratulation!

Being that the statue is 1 of 20...this could be the firtst and only creation...

Is there a foundary name on the base?

Looks like there is an initial in front of the signature...maybe a "C"?

I'm thinking the same. I feel that it's the only one. In all the years that I been interested in art - even limited art. I NEVER seen a number 1 of / . No foundry name inside or out. C could be in front of the name or it could be the copyright mark, I just don't know.

Check out Christies Auction house web site they have an online form you can fill out to get an estimate of your bronze. Even if your not interested in selling they might be able to give you more infoon price who made it etc. it's free. Sothebys might have one as well.

Where are you getting the Ellis Island from? You don't mention that being on the bronze. If you are guessing it will just lead you off on a wild goose chase.

How about an Irish girl that just had her house torn down and burned by the English land overseer? How about a girl in a covered wagon train that just saw her parents killed by the Indians. There is all kind of things this could be depicting. A contact with a major auction house, as suggested above might be your best lead.

Try checking out this website. I believe this is the person who sculpted your bronze statue and you may be able to find additional info.
Hazel Reeves Hope this helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back