Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Early Navy Button? 1790's??

I showed a photo of one of my unidentified buttons to Montana Jim yesterday and decided to post it on What Is It forum. I found this button at the earliest inhabited work area in my home town a few years back. It was the earliest working saw mill in our town, circa 1700's to early 1800's.
I have tried many times to get a positive ID on this button and the best guess was a 1790's style button.
So, looking for hopefully a more complete identification of this particular anchor button.
One piece, the shank is smashed, similar to a 1764 Reale type button I have. The diameter is 22mm. Also, as you can see it was a gold gilted button, brass or copper. The fouled anchor is somewhat unusual in its styling, rather thick with the lines.

Don

Attachments

• UnkNaval22mmreduced.jpg
    UnkNaval22mmreduced.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 377
Re: Early Navy Button? 1790's??

Looks like it was hand etched, possibly sailor art kind of thing? Very cool find.

Upvote 0

Looks hand carved to me also.

Upvote 0

Most early navy buttons were somewhat crude. :) The gilt was on the anchor, so I doubt it was a blank gilt button first or gilted later by a hand scriber.

I also have thought that perhaps it might be British and not American.

Here is a without a doubt hand carved button, let your imagination run wild on what you see on this one. ;)

Don

Attachments

• handscribed.jpg
    handscribed.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 319
Upvote 0

Its probably British and pre-dates 1830.

However I think its a civilian button because they were a popular fashion at the time (the anchor that is).

The carved effect was done to manying Pewter, Tombac buttons of the 1790s & yours could well be of the same date.

Not British Military as it looks like none of mine of that date. (See below)

Attachments

• buttons.JPG
    buttons.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 320
Upvote 0

Don ,,, I don't have to use my imagination at all. What you have is a somewhat crude,(brass gold gilt) hand incised " EAGLE " button. The beak is to the left of the eye, and the wings spread.
A Navy officer button (brass) Showing a Eagle with spread wings holding arrows in the right claw and olive branch in left, with a fouled anchor below, some what similar to yours was recovered at the battle of Lake Champlain.

Regards Simon....
Your other button with the incised anchor I would say comes from the same period. 1776-1783 American Navel, Both outstanding finds !!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

SimonLakeSub said:
Don ,,, I don't have to use my imagination at all. What you have is a somewhat crude,(brass gold gilt) hand incised " EAGLE " button. The beak is to the left of the eye, and the wings spread.
A Navy officer button (brass) Showing a Eagle with spread wings holding arrows in the right claw and olive branch in left, with a fouled anchor below, some what similar to yours was recovered at the battle of Lake Champlain.

Regards Simon....
Your other button with the incised anchor I would say comes from the same period. 1776-1783 American Navel, Both outstanding finds !!!!!!!!!!!

Simon , Congrats on seeing what I have been seeing on that button! I also agree with the possible period you are saying on the Naval anchor, but I thought more British Naval at that time frame, I know there are many variants of the Anchor prior to 1795, and I am sure it is one of them, hoping to hear more positive replies, but what you have said on the hand scribed one is right on!!!

Don

Upvote 0

Don, I predict at that site, your next button will be a "USA" or better yet a "New Jersey" Button Both buttons were common finds in the early 80s in Lower Manhattan, as a result of new skyscrapers, in the area around South Street, tons of dirt was used as fill out in Staten Island, hundreds of buttons were found. Spent weeks in the freezing winter, knowing all the while this was a once in a life time opportunity.

Simon......

Upvote 0

looks like the button off of an old navy pea coat

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back