Early Colonial, lead and a curious bottle...

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coin, or half coin, I found in my back yard. I have found about a dozen early 1800 tokens here but this is the 1st actual currency. It was cut in half but I can make out the top of Britannia as well as the collar of George. Was it common to cut these? Based on what little detail there is would anyone care to estimate a date? It may be a counterfeit as the copper seems really subpar but this is what most of the coppers look like from this field. If you look to the right of Britannia you can see the "N I" below her arm.

On Monday I had to pick up my father at the airport. I didn't have to get him until 4pm so I packed my detector and hit the Dingle again. I found two dropped musket balls, three fired and a 57 Snider minie ball in awesome condition. The Snider is the best I have found.

The "bottle" was found with a 1930’s coin spill. It is metal (obviously) and the label is painted and not paper. On the bottom it is engraved Patent Applied For.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• finds.JPG
    finds.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 522
  • snider.JPG
    snider.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 515
  • bottle.JPG
    bottle.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 517
  • brit1.JPG
    brit1.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 509
  • brit2.JPG
    brit2.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 515
Upvote 0
it was pretty common for folks to clip colonial coinage in order to make change. very nice finds! the bottle is a cool find as well!

Nice finds, Romeo. Like the bottle.

Congrats on the Cool (Bottle) KEM Lighter Romeo

Is it common to cut coins? YUP. I've gotten a 1/2 cut sheild nickel, 1/8 cut 1 Reale and my partner got 1/4 of a large cent.

It's still fun to find half a colonial coin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back