Early 1800s brass and amber pin

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Early 1800's brass and amber pin

It FINALLY stopped raining for a little bit, and I got out to the button field for a few hours. Found a really beautiful brass and amber pin. The amber was held together with just the dirt, but I got most of it to put back together. It has some really nice metal work around the edges. Also found another boot toe plate, a iron harness buckle and three nice buttons, including two tombac and one gilt. It felt so good to get out after four steady days of rain....Lance

Attachments

• Brothers Fall 2005 Hunt 214.jpg
    Brothers Fall 2005 Hunt 214.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 333
  • Brothers Fall 2005 Hunt 210.jpg
    Brothers Fall 2005 Hunt 210.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 334
Upvote 0
Re: Early 1800's brass and amber pin

Really nice finds Lance!

Aren't you so happy it was just rain! ;)

Nana ;)

Nana40 said:
Aren't you so happy it was just rain! ;)

You Betcha. Got snow on the top of Mt. Washington yesterday. That usually means we will have it in 6 weeks. Got to get busy and detect....Lance

Comfy,

nice artifacts; as you said that metal work is really nice.

Why do you think the amber is all broken? Weather, farm work, any idea? Could the metal have cracked it, hot/cold weather?

have a good un.............
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

That pin is really nice! I love seeing your finds and I'm not looking forward to your winter.

vicki

Really neat finds!! I'm not sure, but isn't real amber like that worth some big dollars?
WTG!! HH

Very nice looking pin, too bad over time the stone broke. The metal work on it is exceptional looks kind of victorian style. Good luck in your button field. Do you have an idea of what the area once was? We are still raining here unfortunately. :-\
Mchamby

Nice finds comfydude!

HH

Lonewolfe

So what are you doing with all of this years artifacts? You must have buckets full :o

Congrats!

Really cool stuff Lance !

Nice Lance, I love those flat buttons. You probably have hundreds of them. There so smooth and nice. They don't make buttons like them anymore.

HH Jer

Thanks for the replies, I will try to answer the questions.
Shermanville Illinois, I think the amber cracked from the extreme weather we have. A little water got into a crack and froze.

Mchamby, I believe the property was always a field. I am finding that a lot of the fields up here have an awful lot of buttons in them. Don't know if it is due to trash and old clothes burned or some are lost, but this is the second field where I have found many buttons.

Digginitup, I put all my artifacts in display cases and take them to different places and give talks on metal detecting and history. I just gave a talk to the Greensboro Historical Society and I do a talk each year on "What's under Danville" at the library. I also have given talks to several school groups. They love to see everything that is being found in their town. I also give some to the owners of the property on which I am detecting. I will post some pictures of the display cases after the ground freezes.

Jerdfx, Yes I have lots of the buttons, but it is still a thrill each time I find one. I particulary like the large colonial flat buttons.

Thank you for all the interest.

And, oh yeah, I am not looking forward to the winter either....Lance

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back