hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for any info on this button I found Saturday. Thanks!
100_11641_zps07bf0c1a.jpg
100_11601_zps0f7057e5.jpg
100_11621_zps4398454c.jpg

I can't get your button pics to enlarge. Above the head of the eagle and below the word "states" appears to be writing. Can you interpret that for us. I have been thru some books but I am not having any luck with that button. Maybe Cannonballguy will come by. He researches better, knows more and has better resource material than I do.

Upvote 0
I can't get your button pics to enlarge. Above the head of the eagle and below the word "states" appears to be writing. Can you interpret that for us. I have been thru some books but I am not having any luck with that button. Maybe Cannonballguy will come by. He researches better, knows more and has better resource material than I do.
It says e pluribus unum.

Upvote 0
gold eagle.jpgI found this photo in google images but it comes up as page not found.

Upvote 0
The closest match I can find is in Albert's button book on page 458-459 and it doesn't help with an ID as it is listed as UU132. UU stands for unclassified and unidentified. I can't see your button good enough to read but the variation in Alberts that most closely matches yours with the arrows angled down says the E is omitted from the beginning of the motto.
Maybe this will give someone else a starting point to ID it.

Upvote 0
The closest match I can find is in Albert's button book on page 458-459 and it doesn't help with an ID as it is listed as UU132. UU stands for unclassified and unidentified. I can't see your button good enough to read but the variation in Alberts that most closely matches yours with the arrows angled down says the E is omitted from the beginning of the motto.
Maybe this will give someone else a starting point to ID it.
Thanks. I know I'm not posting my photo's right. I've been trying to figure out how to post them so they magnify like everyone else's. I use photo bucket????

Upvote 0
Although the button is shown in the Albert book as unidentified, I believe it is a US Government Officials & Diplomatic Corps button, due to its extreme similarity to buttons OD-30A and B in the US Officials/Diplomatic section in that book. Being a 1-piece brass button with a raised-lettering backmark saying only "Scovills Extra" indicates it dates from sometime between 1827 and about 1835.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks CannonballGuy. I was hoping you'd come along with some info. I felt like it was an older one. Another one for the collection!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back