Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been revisiting some of my old finds from when I started detecting. I came across this button and I'm curious as to it's authenticity and age. It's a three piece, but the shank is missing. Also I'm wondering if I should clean it, and how to do it properly. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1478307328.691382.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1478307350.401408.jpg

Thanks for looking, and any help is appreciated!

It is a civilian blazer button. The first time I found one it made my old heart skip a beat. I just knew I had a Navy button. Then, the good folks here IDed it for me. The rusted back is one clue. The lack of detail on the eagle (even on better condition ones) and the fact that the anchor eye does not extend to the edge where the rope border would run through it are more clues.

Upvote 0
Yeap a poor quality Civvy copy.

Upvote 0
Well that's a bummer, damn civilian blazer buttons have burned me a few times! Oh well haha, now I know. It makes sense, I would think the quality would be much better on an authentic military button.

Thanks guys

Upvote 0
Too bad it's not the real deal, although I'm glad I'm learning.

Finding a real circa 1860's Navy button up here on the prairie would be a long shot to say the least.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back