E Trac

vabuckhunter

Mar 14, 2011
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Ive had my E trac for about 4 months now and am just starting to figure it out. All the you tube videos I watch and the posts I read rave on how accurate the numbers are on this machine but if the coin is more than 5 inches deep my numbers go out the window. I have been digging silver quarters and dimes this week that ring up all over the place and hit only one way. My question is do I have a setting wrong or is this normal?

It's really kind of normal, especially here in Virginia. You're digging them, so you must be going by sound. I may look at the numbers, but I listen to the sounds, and the sounds tell me whether or not to dig - as it should be....

The Etrac is definitely a sound first, VDI second machine. The numbers do start drifting at depth - but the sound is usually there. It may be a peep... or a one way signal as you have experienced, but its there. Lots of guys with Etracs and Explorers say forget the numbers, just go by ear.

Yeah I am definitely a sound hunter...especially with the eTrac. I hunt mostly in TTF going by sounds and then check iffy targets in QuickMask.

Hey VAbuck.....just throw that etrac in the river....lol. you have had a good week, but save some silver for me!

Ive had my E trac for about 4 months now and am just starting to figure it out. All the you tube videos I watch and the posts I read rave on how accurate the numbers are on this machine but if the coin is more than 5 inches deep my numbers go out the window. I have been digging silver quarters and dimes this week that ring up all over the place and hit only one way. My question is do I have a setting wrong or is this normal?

Audio audio audio! The deeper the hit the more you need to rely on the audio. If its more often than not a repeater and its deep, get out the shovel! ;)

Buckhunter - As said above, it's all about sound. I never look at the numbers. You only have 4 months experience - Remember it takes years for anyone to learn what these machines are telling you. You have bought one of the best machines on the market, just keep at it, and you will eventually learn everything it's telling you. Good Luck out there!!

Buckhunter - As said above, it's all about sound. I never look at the numbers. You only have 4 months experience - Remember it takes years for anyone to learn what these machines are telling you. You have bought one of the best machines on the market, just keep at it, and you will eventually learn everything it's telling you. Good Luck out there!!

I have had the etrac for about a year now. I am still learning. The other day I got a good sound and I looked at the tid and the numbers were jumping from 11 37 up to 11 45 but it was relatively deep at 7 inches. Turns out it was a 44 merc. The numbers usually don't jump that much at that depth, but anytime I get a good sound at that depth or greater I dig it. Most of the time it turns out in my favor.

The etrac is the best machine I have used so far in terms of target id. I use sound first then look at what the target id says. You have to find what method you like but sound is the most important by far.

When you talk about hunting in TTF...is that with a wide open screen or with some disc. .....Any body ever set up there E-trac to hunt and then cover the screen to train your ears to the sounds and what and what not to dig.??

When you talk about hunting in TTF...is that with a wide open screen or with some disc. .....Any body ever set up there E-trac to hunt and then cover the screen to train your ears to the sounds and what and what not to dig.??

When I use ttf I use andy sabisch coin pattern modified to accept gold rings. I find ttf the most useful when I am in iron. I have been able to pick out good finds right next to iron. I don't look at the screen until I get a high tone then I look at it for more information. I dig when the high tone hits clean and hard. Just what I do but others may do it differently. You can find high tones sometimes right on the edge of the iron and sometimes when you do its a keeper.

I use my own customized discrimination pattern that I created to allow identification of Canadian coinage. Any iffy signals are checked using QuickMask and that's where I run an open screen with no discrimination. Sometimes I will discrim out a segment of FE starting at 20 or so in QuickMask depending on where I am hunting. Training your ears comes from many hours of actual hunting experience.

One more thing buckhunter - Masking is a huge problem for people who say "I only dig the good targets". I dig every signal I get, even if I know it's trash. I can't count how many times I have removed a nail that was nulling my machine, to swipe again and find an old coin or ring. Keep that in mind...............

Im starting to realize that more and more ringfinder, if it has a little squeal and is repeatable I am starting to dig it and have been pleasantly surprised. Thank yall for all the help

So hunting in 4TF with open screen is the same as looking at the quickmask, really no need to do that only if you have some dics. on the 4TF screen ?....I have been using the E-trac for about 4 months know....I find myself going back and forth from some disc. to lot of disc. to wide open screen multi tones, but always going back to the 4TF. I am more able to hear the mid and high tones, where I am having trouble is to use or not use some kind of disc. and I hunt a lot of old parks with lots of trash, moving the coil slow I can pick out the good signals, but even in the 4 tones that's still a lot of sounds, hard to take for 3 or 4 hours.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back