Dutch VOC shipwrecks

Feb 26, 2005
The Netherlands
Hi Cornelius,

Some time ago I informed the readers of this nice forum about my website www.vocshipwrecks.nl. You then reacted on my topic by asking me why my website was so user-unfriendly, but I didn't quite understand what you meant back then..... maybe one day you can explain it to me...?

Anyway, since then I saw that you have used several pictures from my website in your topics in this forum, such as your topics on the Geldermalsen (1752), the Amsterdam (1749) and others. Maybe, maybe it would be nice if you would state your sources in your topics....??

But let's not argue about it, especially not on a forum. You do a great job with this forum, and I do my best with my website.

I must admit my site is somewhat outdated. I haven't updated it for quite some time, in which for example new VOC wrecks have been discovered like the Rooswijk (1740) at the Goodwin's Sands, the Haan (1626 or 1628) off Jakarta Bay in Indonesia, the Nieuwerkerk (1748) near Sulawesi and others. I just haven't got the time to keep the site updated.

The fact that my website isn't up to date, doesn't mean I don't have new stories... In the background I have gathered lots and lots of new stories, pictures and other info on wrecked VOC ships. I have put all this new info in my database which I started to compile lots of years ago. In this database I have put the data of every voyage from VOC ships from the Netherlands to the East, and vice versa. And of course I have added all the info I have on wrecked VOC ships in that same database.

I started to compile this database because I wanted to be able to see the connection between wrecked VOC ships and the ships which accompanied them.... obviously records and surviving documents of the surviving ships, which can found in the Archives in The Hague, provide more info on these wrecked ships.....!

Firstly I wanted to share that database on the internet, but the same database (originally published in 3 books by the Dutch Rijks Geschiedkundige Publicatien: Bruijn, J.R., Gaastra, F.S., Sch?ffer, I. Dutch-Asiatic Shipping in the 17th and 18th Centuries. (3 Vols) RGP 165, 166, 167) has allready been published on the internet by its original publishers (see www.inghist.nl/Onderzoek/Projecten/DAS) and by another person on www.vocsite.nl (which I find very professional, easy accessible and fun to read).

Because they have allready published the original database on the internet, I now want to do something different. I want to put the database off all 8.195 VOC voyages, and all the info I have on VOC shipwrecks on a CD or DVD and send it to everyone interested, so people can browse it anytime and anyware, even if they don't have Internet-access.

If you are interested, just let me know, and I will send you a copy of it.

Well, keep up the good work with the forum, don't forget to tell in case of using material from my website, and hopefully we'll talk again.

Maybe, when you are in The Netherlands, we can meet and talk further...!!!??

Cheers,

Nick Habermehl

Hello Nick,
Thanks for your good post and all the great research and work you've done on your VOC web site. All of us appreciate it very much!

Unfortunately, today when I tried to access it the site couldn't come up at all. Don't know if its me or what's up with that.

Your CD sounds good also. How much are you charging for that?

Cheers,
Tony W.

Hi Cornelius,

Agian, I want to make sure to you that I don't want to argue with you about this. I respect you too much for who you are and for the work you establish on this forum.

But to prove that material from my website is used in this forum, I hereby send you a real-time, up to date photo of the Geldermalsen catalogue which you have used. This catalogue is in my posession...

I have just taken a picture of it, with this topic in the background. You should easily be able to recognise it's authenticity by the small stamp on it which used to tell the prize which I had to pay for the catalogue

See?

Nick

Attachments

• geldermalsen-catalogue.jpg
    geldermalsen-catalogue.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 247
Nick welcome to the forum, great site well done, keep updating where you can.

The Christies catalogue issue

Copyright for the picture belongs to the photographer or the company he worked for at that time when he took the picture, the catalogue would be copyright to Christies after getting permission to use the picture. The fact you purchased the catalogue does not give you rights to use it. However I doubt that Christies are interested.

I also have a catalogue from the auction in my storage in the states, and I have seen the same or similar pictures of the catalogue on other sites through the years. In fact Michael Hatcher used a similar one in one of his sales articles at that time.

On this site we all try give as much information as possible on any subject anyone asks about, a lot of info comes from sites like your own, and old books long forgotten who had the copyright. We do not sell info; only share the knowledge as you do with your site. Which was your objective to create the site.

I and many other collect pictures of interest too us, I have pictures I took off the web years ago I cannot even remember where I got many of them from, so if I used one then I guess it is a little bit of modern day piracy, ( ;D hey what do you expect on a treasure site).

Now as you have joined the forum I look forward to your future posts along with the rest of us who are interested in VOC your specialty. I am sure you can contribute a lot to this site.

And once again thanks for creating your site.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back