Dug up in 1955 in a garden in Cheshire. Anyone know what it is?

Barbara Smith

Aug 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• figurine 1.jpg
    figurine 1.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 131
  • figurine 3.jpg
    figurine 3.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 151
  • figurine 4.jpg
    figurine 4.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 124
  • figurine 5.jpg
    figurine 5.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 148
  • figurine.jpg
    figurine.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 186
  • figurine2.jpg
    figurine2.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 132
turn it upside down and smoke away, then hide it in plain sight with the niknaks. Don't forget to get a new screen.

Upvote 0
Okie is a wayward child but we still love him.:headbang:

Upvote 0
After studying the close-up pic, I saw what appears to be initials at the bottom of the statue, which look like RJW. The first person who came to mind, was R. John Wright, a clay doll maker, but this statue is older.

I think it is a decorative statue or a chess piece. The part in the back that appears to be a whistle/pipe opening looks to be a broken area. The statue could be Red Riding Hood since she has a basket and lantern. I'm not sure if that is a cane or part of the decor on the front of the dress. Since she has on high top shoes/boots, it's not a religious statue.

If you could post a pic of the initials and tell us what letters you think they are, it could stand a better chance of identifying. Neat find, Breezie
figurine.jpg

Upvote 0
I have a similar object that my Grandfather found in his garden (approx 1950)in a small Ontario town. I refer to it as Little Lord Fauntleroy. It is definately a whistle as it still works and it is an English Lord with the long wavy wig. I am in the middle of moving just now and it is packed away will try and show picture soon. (Are you from Cheshire, England?)

Upvote 0
I found a chicken whistle made out of the same colored clay....not sure where it is now...but very similar idea.....I think I found it in a TOC bottle dump...

Upvote 0
Could it be a st joseph statue?
For religious reasons for good luck, people bury them in the yard or garden, often to help sell their home

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back