✅ SOLVED Dug this today any way to date it

Mark1985

Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
whites spectra v3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok I dug this next to a 3 three ringer never know with a plowed field any info on a date and what it is

image-2333673645.jpg

image-4074930455.jpg

image-2775682101.jpg

image-1120658781.jpg

I've got some from WWII that look just like that one.

Upvote 0
It is a US Marines insignia. It had a "screw-pin" (which is missing) on the back, for attachment to the cloth. That attachment-form dates it from the 1890s through approximately 1942. I'll do some additional research to try to narrow down the date-range for you. At this point, I think yours is pre-WW2.

Upvote 0
Haha cannon when I see your name on my post I always know ill have the right answer

Upvote 0
It is a US Marines insignia. It had a "screw-pin" (which is missing) on the back, for attachment to the cloth. That attachment-form dates it from the 1890s through approximately 1942. I'll do some additional research to try to narrow down the date-range for you. At this point, I think yours is pre-WW2.

What you are looking at is a Barracks Cover device that is still current today. As pointed out it is missing it's threaded post that is inserted into the cap and held in place by a thin threaded washer. The one found likely dates to the 60s. WWII and earlier devices had a tendency to be more detailed in design. I served from July 1973 to Aug 2003, so I know a little about this one.USMC..JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back