Dug these tools up today. Are they very old?

broph

Greenie
Apr 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to this so I am very unfamiliar with the dates all of the objects that I am finding. Found this horseshoe, saw and file today along with the bullets that I posted earlier. Super exciting whether these are old or not. My boys (8 and 10) love it as well. We have a cheap MD and I'm sure we would do better with a better model.

Attachments

• photo-13.JPG
    photo-13.JPG
    481.5 KB · Views: 117
  • photo-14.JPG
    photo-14.JPG
    542.6 KB · Views: 101
  • photo-9.JPG
    photo-9.JPG
    424.6 KB · Views: 125
Your saw, made by Disston, can be dated (within a range of dates, not exact year) with good accuracy if we could see a close & clear picture of the medallion. A model number could likely be determined as well if you let us know the length.
Welcome to TreasureNet!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The length is exactly 12 5/8" and this is about the best picture that I could get.

Attachments

• photo-15.JPG
    photo-15.JPG
    564.6 KB · Views: 94
Upvote 0
The horse shoe is for a hind foot, and has accidentally been pulled probably by the horse getting it caught in something, or it was left
on the foot long enough for the shoe to fall off. Difficult to date a horse shoe, my swag would be the 50's or 60's because it looks like
American made shoes I nailed on horses at that time. The saw blade is called a "key hole saw," probably also from the 50's or 60's.
The file could be from most any time, up until right now. The bullets are semi wad cutters, probably .38 caliber as are a couple of the
empty brass. Need to see the head stamps on the empty's and also the shotgun shells for positive ID. One of your nails looks to be square,
probably dates to late 1800's up to 1920's, other nails are modern. A couple of your brass are empty .22 long rifle, the head stamp will tell
the company that made it.

Upvote 0
The headstamps are:

Winchester Repeater No 12
REM-UMC No 16 ???Shot (at the bottom)
REM-UMC N0-20 Nitro Club
CRESENT No 12 RHA Co
Winchester N0 12 New Rival
Remington No 20
UMC Co No 12 New Club
REM-UMC No 16 Nitro Club
and two that look like they say PETERS but thats all I can make out