hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried a new field tonight. The 1874 atlas showed a house way in the middle so I set off to find it. An hour later and alot of walking and I started hearing iron. I found some keepers. I have no idea if this is "or was" a belt plate or a box plate. It made my day though. What I assumed was a large cent turned out to be a Canadian Half Penny. 1837 I believe. I worked on it with the andre pencils and a light copper wheel. A little too much copper wheel I think but it cleaned up nice instead of mystery coin. Two eagle buttons. One smashed. A couple flat buttons. A large brass item. No idea. Some lamp parts. A candle holder ring. Some type of hammer head. Looks like an older clip. London on one of the flat buttons. I found three double eyelet items. Does anyone know what they were used for? I don't. Had a good time! Thats my second ever US plate. Its been abused no doubt. Good Hunting!
20231113_201553.jpg
20231113_195009.jpg
20231113_195035.jpg
20231113_200007.jpg
20231113_202821.jpg
20231113_203733.jpg
20231113_212030.jpg
20231113_184747.jpg
20231113_183619.jpg
20231113_183625.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 34
Nice digs! I’ve found on of those double eyelet things before… no clue what it is. I’ll follow this if someone can ID them.
Love the Canadian Half Penny
Thanks! I know! I seem to find them only on the older sites. And three tonight whatever they are. lol

I tried a new field tonight. The 1874 atlas showed a house way in the middle so I set off to find it. An hour later and alot of walking and I started hearing iron. I found some keepers. I have no idea if this is "or was" a belt plate or a box plate. It made my day though. What I assumed was a large cent turned out to be a Canadian Half Penny. 1837 I believe. I worked on it with the andre pencils and a light copper wheel. A little too much copper wheel I think but it cleaned up nice instead of mystery coin. Two eagle buttons. One smashed. A couple flat buttons. A large brass item. No idea. Some lamp parts. A candle holder ring. Some type of hammer head. Looks like an older clip. London on one of the flat buttons. I found three double eyelet items. Does anyone know what they were used for? I don't. Had a good time! Thats my second ever US plate. Its been abused no doubt. Good Hunting!
Never seen a box plate that messed-up. Nice score.

I think they are splicing eyelets for single-strand barbed wire fencing. It would allow you to start a new roll of wire when the previous one runs out.
The recourse was to cut the wire back to the nearest post and waste wire.
I can’t swear that’s the intended purpose, but I have seen them in use that way. Possibly repurposed?

Very Cool!!!! Congrats!!!!

I think they are splicing eyelets for single-strand barbed wire fencing. It would allow you to start a new roll of wire when the previous one runs out.
The recourse was to cut the wire back to the nearest post and waste wire.
I can’t swear that’s the intended purpose, but I have seen them in use that way. Possibly repurposed?
I like that theory! That would make sense. I've also found them in fields with nothing else around.

That's the kind of hunting a like to do, wide open field and a hunch!!!!!! I'm having trouble remembering what those eyelit things are , it will come to me. Killer stuff bud Congratz!!!
Thanks! I know right! I almost didn't find it. I decided to check one more high point in the field and saw a crumbled brick fragment. Game on! lol

I think they are trip-links from an old check row corn planter.
Thanks, I'll check that out. I've been finding them for years. I always wondered what they were used for.

Last edited:
Update: I just wanted to post a pic of the same plate after doing some "carefull" bending with five different types of pliers. Then I used my andre pencils to sharpen the details. No water, just a dry brush. I sealed the back with gorilla wood glue to help preserve it and hold it's shape. It was rolled up like a cigar when I found it! I was sure it was gonna split completely in the middle or elsewhere but I went micro slow with the bending. Just wanted a better display. Cheers!
20231124_194533.jpg
20231124_194540.jpg
20231113_183619.jpg

Last edited:
The eyelet pieces are lead and they were used chained together thru a pipe to extract water from the ground, kind of like a well pump.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back