Dug a nickel size & VDI...any ideas what it is?

Murray8144

Aug 20, 2015
Essex County, NJ
Detector(s) used
eTrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't have much experience with nickels, assuming this is a nickel...thoughts??

4.jpg
1.jpg

other side

6.JPG

Last edited:
I'd guess that it's either a V nickel or a shield nickel. Don't feel bad, they normally come out the the ground in bad shape.

Upvote 0
Can you tell if any of the pointers in this picture are pointing at a star?

2015-12-12-15-58-16.jpg

Upvote 0
In the first picture, can you read any of the letters? It looks like "TES". THe "E" would be at the top of the coin whether it is a shield or a V. Unless you can get a little more detail it will be hard to ID it precisely. In either case it would date from 1866-1913.

Upvote 0
Art-no I can't make out any stars

I've scanned every part of it under magnification and can't see squat

Thanks for the help all. Definitely happy with my first notable nickel

Upvote 0
Soak it in oil for a few days, you should be able to get a few more details that way. I thought I saw part of the date on it.

good luck!

Upvote 0
Looks like a V nickel to me. Unfortunately often they don't come out with very much detail. I have tried first rubbing around with a toothpick to bring out more detail.

Upvote 0
If you dig V nickles and Indian Head pennies in the desert most of them come up like the 2 that I posted. When I dig them out of fertile ground most of them are toasted. If you clean them too much the ones that I've found turn an ugly pinkish to brownish color, uglier than when they came out IMO.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back