Dry sand, wet sand, or shallow water??? Whats most productive for you???

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Dry sand, wet sand, or shallow water??? What's most productive for you???

I am going to try a different beach on Cape Cod over the next few days, but I will only have a couple of hours each day I go out. I've got a Minelab Excalibur 1000. Where would you spend your time on the beach in the pics below?...

ALSO, if you use an Excalibur, do you hunt in auto sensitivity, or do you manually set it to a particular position that works better in salt water than the auto position??

Attachments

• beach 1.JPG
    beach 1.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 541
  • beach 2.JPG
    beach 2.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 482
  • beach 3.JPG
    beach 3.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 590
Upvote 0
Re: Dry sand, wet sand, or shallow water??? What's most productive for you???

here my settings on the excalibur i use, manually,- "sen. at 1 O'clock,"- vol, all the way up. -threshold, so that you just hear it,- dis, at 1. . and hunt slowwwww. i like to hunt about 2 hours before low tide and after low tide, about knee to waist deep

I mostly hunt wet sand but recently tried where the wet goes to dry.(Look at the banner above :o, after 3 years of hunting). For me this seems to be more productive. I don't get out there often but hopefully this year I will. Everyone says it is more productive about knee deep to around waist deep.

On my Excalibur I set it to auto sensitivity and I leave it in discrimination mode at lowest possible (none). I was told to leave it in pin point (all metal) but it doesn't seem to find anything deeper than the other mode and I hate it when it sounds off with a nail under the coil. The volume high is also a good idea.

Another thing I learned it is better to hunt a small area slowly but hunt it well rather than try to cross a big area quickly.

Good luck out there and let us know how you do.

Mine is basically like RJ's, on my Excal 1000 I set the disc to 1 to 1.5, the threshold so it sounds like a bee, just barely hear it, volume all the way up, and on the sense I found I have to set it to about 11 to 1 oclock position to get it stable so it doesn't constantly chatter in the salt water. (Thank you Sandman)

I like to hunt the same, about 2-3 hours before low tide to 1 to 2 after or untill I'm too tired to walk any farther, which ever comes first. ;)

I get out in the water and look for large holes that the surf has tore up. Where you walking calf or knee deep and it suddenly goes to waist deep or deeper then suddenly your back to calf deep.

If the surf is too rough I work the wet sand down to the water line and in to maybe knee deep working a wavy pattern till I find a hit, then work that hard to see if there are more targets and if there is a pattern on multiple targets.

If that is not producing I work a line where all the round holes are from the beach umbrellas.

Hope it helps, good luck and good hunting.

Here's what I found earlier this week... gold and platinum

I spent about 2 hours a day for three days this past week detecting a different beach here on Cape Cod, and 99% of this time wading in knee to waist deep water. The beach was on the bay side of the cape, and was very shallow for a long ways out.

On my first day out I pulled out the 14K gold crucifix ring, and on the second day out I got the platinum wedding band.

My frustration, though (I know I shouldn't be frustrated with these two great rings) is that in 2 hours of detecting in the water, I only get about 6 to 10 detections.

Attachments

• 2 rings.JPG
    2 rings.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 429
  • 2 rings 2.JPG
    2 rings 2.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 438
  • 2 rings.JPG
    2 rings.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 435
  • 2 rings 2.JPG
    2 rings 2.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 439

well to me thats better then digging 50 pull tabs and junk, when i was at va beach week ago junk targets where few dug maybe 4 tabs in aweek there and only 2 bottel caps, beach is clean of trash thats good. and yes 2 rings in 2 hours of hunting and one is platinum. i would be very happy.

time4Me

what comes from a mine

diamonds
gold
silver

the surfmine is very wet and has waves - be careful

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back