Drooped wing Eagle button

Fredneck

May 7, 2005
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000, ORX, White's XLT, AT Gold for Fresh Water
Pulled this button out of a Va Regt' camp yesterday and was sure I had dug a nice Confederate button, looked right in every way. After a lil rub I thought I could see the head of Virtue on the Va buttons and tucked it away. On the ride home I had convinced myself the button was a low convex Va coat, but upon cleaning it up I see the drooped wings and now convinced myself I had dug a Confederate Staff Officers button. Think the CW relic Gods had a laugh over this one, well me too lol. Anyhow I'm having trouble ID'n this thing, leaning towards a school button but have no reference. Any ID help appreciated.
PXL_20230103_210916980_2.jpgPXL_20230103_210927037_2.jpgPXL_20230103_234918361_3.jpgPXL_20230103_235027369_3.jpg

Upvote 11
What is written on the back? Kind of having a hard time seeing the writing.
Very different for sure, liking it. Congrats

Nice Button.

The ‘JW’ is for John Wanamaker. Poor health prevented him from fighting in the Civil War and he started a men’s clothing and uniform business with his brother-in-law Nathan Brown in Philadelphia in 1861 with a store called “Oak Hall”. Brown died in 1868 (1869?) and Wanamaker carried on the business alone under his own name. He purchased the abandoned Pennsylvania Railroad station in 1876 for use as a larger retail department store and the following year expanded the business to include women’s clothing and dry goods.

Although these buttons are sometimes claimed to be “Civil War” by fleabay sellers (and the original company did indeed supply the military with at least some items), I believe these JW/Eagle buttons are civilian and post-1868/9 when the business was running as “John Wanamaker Company”. Whether they're employee uniform buttons or just branded for clothing that they sold, I don't know.

Nice Button.

The ‘JW’ is for John Wanamaker. Poor health prevented him from fighting in the Civil War and he started a men’s clothing and uniform business with his brother-in-law Nathan Brown in Philadelphia in 1861 with a store called “Oak Hall”. Brown died in 1868 (1869?) and Wanamaker carried on the business alone under his own name. He purchased the abandoned Pennsylvania Railroad station in 1876 for use as a larger retail department store and the following year expanded the business to include women’s clothing and dry goods.

Although these buttons are sometimes claimed to be “Civil War” by fleabay sellers (and the original company did indeed supply the military with at least some items), I believe these JW/Eagle buttons are civilian and post-1868/9 when the business was running as “John Wanamaker Company”. Whether they're employee uniform buttons or just branded for clothing that they sold, I don't know.
Excellent info, thank you.

Pulled this button out of a Va Regt' camp yesterday and was sure I had dug a nice Confederate button, looked right in every way. After a lil rub I thought I could see the head of Virtue on the Va buttons and tucked it away. On the ride home I had convinced myself the button was a low convex Va coat, but upon cleaning it up I see the drooped wings and now convinced myself I had dug a Confederate Staff Officers button. Think the CW relic Gods had a laugh over this one, well me too lol. Anyhow I'm having trouble ID'n this thing, leaning towards a school button but have no reference. Any ID help appreciated.
View attachment 2062927View attachment 2062928View attachment 2062929View attachment 2062930
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Va Dave, I have a question. Was this drooped wing Eagle button found in an area where CW relics were found? This may give more insight as to whether this may have been a button from the war. Very cool button. Congrat's.

From an ebay seller:

Wanamaker2.jpg

No attribution for the information given by the seller, but the listing says:

"John Wanamaker Coat & vest Uniform Buttons..These buttons were on the jackets and vest worn by the employees. You would be greeted as you entered the store by an employee with these buttons on their uniforms. Date 1900- 1960. Coat button Extra Quality, vest Robert Riker & Co. N.Y."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back