droop wing eagle on anchor button and large great seal disc???

windage

Apr 3, 2011
Mason-Dixon Line
Detector(s) used
eyes, ears, wet finger in the wind and old willow sticks, when that don't work; Minelabs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1) drop wing eagle on anchor, fine line background, large, 28 MM, backmark; WATERBURY BUTTON CO. conn. 2 pc, wire shank, soldered on/in. Saw similar one called "indian wars" era...didn't match up to any CW era Fed Navy or Marine Corps items I searched...ID please?
2) copper/bronze disc w/ Great Seal 45MM (1.75 in) dia, 2.5MM thick, stamped, 2 short posts on reverse...no evidence of plating
dug yesterday at settlement site occupied until recent times. I searched military medels/medalions, political/dignitary items..no luck. Could it have been attached to a base??maybe, ID please?
solved ! next post

Attachments

• buttons obvs.jpg
    buttons obvs.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 448
  • bottons rev.jpg
    bottons rev.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 469
Last edited:
The button is definitely a US Marine Corps button. Its backmark saying "Waterbury Button Co. Conn" written in non-serifed (plain block) letters means it is from the early-1900s to approximately 1943.

The other item is a Wold War One era US Army horsegear rosette. The back of your rosette is missing the thick brass bar for attachment to the leather harness. Here's a photo showing an intact one, and another photo showing one on horsegear (in this case, a headstall).

Attachments

• WW1_horsegear_rosette-with-1902eagle_solid-with-brassbar_backview.jpg
    WW1_horsegear_rosette-with-1902eagle_solid-with-brassbar_backview.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 365
  • WW1_horsegear_rosette-with-1902eagle-on-harness_headstall.jpg
    WW1_horsegear_rosette-with-1902eagle-on-harness_headstall.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 291
Upvote 0
Bingo! thanks cannonball guy, I had to believe I had "new" stuff here, just didn't know how new...I forgot to mention I also found typical WWI general service eagle coat button on this site ( I guess 'cause I already knew what it was, but should have mentioned it for site context).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back