✅ SOLVED Drilled disc

Stegner

Jan 10, 2010
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC, Whites Prizm 5
Found this at a site that housed a lot of early 1900's activity and some sporadic earlier colonial items. This is 2x the thickness as a penny - thought I had something awesome until cleaning it. Note that the two drilled holes are at counter-angles to each other. Any ideas?

Attachments

• drilleddisc.JPG
    drilleddisc.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 138
When I was a kid we made whizzer toys out of buttons.

Upvote 0

Attachments

• Whirligig.jpg
    Whirligig.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 108
  • whirligig1.gif
    whirligig1.gif
    3.9 KB · Views: 99
  • WhirligigToyLeadMusketball.jpg
    WhirligigToyLeadMusketball.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 100
Upvote 0
I'm likely to give this one a green "check" but saw another whizzer-related post on another message string that suggested an item like this could also be a hemweight. Any opinions from the group here as to which is more likely? Thanks all for the responses!

Upvote 0
Is it lead? I think it could also be a homemade button or hem weight because it doesnt have the scalloped edging that probably helps make the buzzing noise.

Upvote 0
All the hem weights I have seen were lead. I go with button or whizzer.

Upvote 0
well..just to take this into the ethers....
that piece reminds me of the backing for some old military fasteners...
bright shinny object on the front of a leather or heavy wool piece...the disk, a backing to keep the object from tearing into the material?????

the germans used this method...the americans also...
I keep flashing on US, WWI aviator wings...two loose wings and shield on front...brass backing on the back or inside of the material..
thCAC2DC0D.jpgthCASWRV7C.jpg

Upvote 0

Attachments

• lead hemweights.jpg
    lead hemweights.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Great comments all!
Based on all the comments I think this is a whizzer toy - not made from a coin (based on the appearance of the metal) or button or hemweight ( holes are too far out toward circumference.
The two holes are drilled at counter-angles, to help make the rotation occur, so it looks like this is intended to be a whizzer toy, whether it be a different brand than a Whiligig or homemade. If I can find more info I will repost...but for now, many thanks and GREEN CHECK!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back