Dredge misinformation?

Have read your post and still trying to figure out what you're getting at, I'm slow I guess. My thoughts- I first got into dredging in the mid-70's. Start'd w/ a 4". By 1979, had the fever, quit union job, sold house and moved to Feather River country (CA). Saw many dredges run. When I built my 8", I went w/ the Flare header and power jet w/ 3' hose in between. The box was 10' long, half riffles and back half had a screened sub layer (forgot what we called it). Worked shallow, worked deep, and it saved the gold! If I built another one today, it wouldn't be any different. I bought one of the first goldhounds in Sacramento at a gold show. Paid for itself in less than 2 weeks.
I totally agree w/ your statement, got to know the how and why your dredge works. I still think about those idiots on that Bering Sea Gold Program. Ran their new dredge for 3 weeks w/ no gold, had an expert show them it wasn't holding the gold. Never thought to run some painted lead thru the machine and see where it held it before taking it out for real!

All mfgrs sell with either pj/sn,your option. Each has their own place-low water situations makes pj worthless as loses prime constantly and blows out the box-and your gold. Gold in a hose flow is akin to creek or even a pan-shake,rock or roll and it dives for the bottom instantly-called specific gravity and creates righteous paystreaks on bedrock,the very foundation of dredging.Just because you do not understand something does not make it wrong. After you have 40-50 years of experience running a dredge these truths become self evident. Crash/bash/smash is better for recovery over a nice spread out flow hahahaha--have a ball and tell others where you dredge -John

I was told that crash boxes were outlawed due to harm to fish :dontknow:

I was told that crash boxes were outlawed due to harm to fish :dontknow:

Crash boxes and triple dredges were replaced with something that was easier to ship and cheaper to make. Not necessarily better. Most people that buy dredges do not know the difference.

:o I'll inject myself into the fray... John is the man when it comes to dredging. He's forgot more about dredging then most will ever learn! Matter of fact, if I remember right, he invented the over/under dredge sluice. And Green, I would hope that you would also take what manufactures tell you with a grain of salt also. Remember they are in the business of selling equipment and I personally would not put it fast any manufacture to fudge the truth in their favor in order to save sales.

What John says about the gold in a hose is the truth. I have a AM Sidekick clean up sluice and when I take my super cons and spoon feed it as the *slick* plate clears of black sand the gold is left behind, slowly making it's way to the drop riffles. Specific gravity is the name of the game, gold being heavier then most everything else it will settle to the lowest point possible, be it bedrock or the bottom of your hose. You would be wise to listen to John.

your jumping the gun!!! John "Hoser" Oates used to own/operate PESCO (prospectors equipment supply company)in California years back and had to close due to circumstances!John knows his stuff! His company built/tested it all. neither Pat or Jeff are wrong. they are telling you the truth pertaining to how their equipment works!and yep John has helped many people including myself,and yes he tells you straight out whats up!dont be so touchy! we all gotta learn one way or the other.you seem tobe going about it correctly searching for info! good for you. keep it up.

I will also speak my mind as I have started several post on this thread and not posted them.
GreenDredge your forum name speaks volumns.I went back and looked at the post you made seeking advise on your dredge combo and saw nothing that would suggest anyone gave you any misinformation.From what I understand from your posts YOU made the mods to your equiptment. I too have talked to Jeff on numerous occasions and he is very knowledgeable,he is also an engineer and in theory what he says and how he builds dredges works to a point.Same with Keene Engineering.These folks are in California and You are in Ohio and the gold they recover and what you recover is vastly different.
Also Jeff spent all that time on the phone telling you about his equiptment,wonder how much time he has spent in a creek or river recovering gold?
You seem very ungrateful to the folks that offer advise with no other motive than trying to help.Maybe you should have called Proline or Keene and gotten some professional advise and you wouldn't have had to ask for it from folks on here that have done this for a living because it is obviose they do not know what they are talking about.
I will agree there are a lot of post on this and other forums that are made by arm chair prospectors so YOU must do research and testing and do your due diligence and decide what is best for you.
Bashing and/or calling out respected members on this or any forum will not get you very far. Wes

greendredge - Hoser John has been posting on here for a long time. He has a very unique, crusty way of saying things. If you listen, he'll end up being 100%
correct, 99% of the time!!:laughing7: From the 1960's to present day, he has actually dredged the waters of calif. and many
other locations. So any advice i hear from him carries a lot of weight.

Last edited:
GreenDredge said:
It wasn't that I am ungrateful, I didn't appreciate johns response. Touchy or not there was a better way to get your point across. Also if you read my posts you will see that I said he was a nice guy and seemed like he was trying to help. I hope you also understand that most forums have people that are only trying to inflate their egos by quick witted responses without really helping. I was sure John was one of those people and apparently I was wrong.
I honestly don't think my posts are that bad! There is no name calling or telling him he is wrong flat out. If you read it you'll see that's all in the form of questions. I expect him/someone to defend his position or belief.
I was stating that you can't take everything at face value when some random person tells you and manufacturers tell you something different.
I will admit Mabe I was a little hasty in John bashing and true that I have a lot to learn. In the future I will listen more and respond less. In return I hope that senior members will be a little more understanding in their responses to someone asking questions.
If John feels like responding there are still numerous questions in my post. If he's doesn't want to respond I understand as well.
John please accept my apology. My hastened posts were peppered with ignorance.
You don't need to explain specific gravity and classification to me obviously but I do wonder why manufacturers say one thing and he says another.

On a side note my name isn't green dredge because I have a green dredge. I chose it as a homage to being wet behind the ears.

John has his way of saying things for sure but honestly I wish more folks were like him. You never have to wonder what he's thinking because he is gona tell ya ! wether you want to hear it or not ... But at least there's no guessing !!!! A man should alway tell ya what he's thinking we as people should not be so thin skinned ....

Hoser John rocks! He knows every nudist swimming hole and gold pocket in California

Last edited:
To thine own self be true- simply get a dozen small lead weights for fishing and paint red. Fire up that dredge and suck them up with gravel,go underwater for a looksee and watch them puppies work their way up the BOTTOM of the hose. I much prefer powerjets BUT when dealing with MICRO/small gold the remix blast/airation immediately prior to introduction is the killer. Hence wide/over under/expandedflare introductions and dispersion curtains. I was dredging when the keene boys was out front in the yard on Lankersheim Blvd in North hollywood(original daddy keenes) in rubber pants playing in the yard.Ifn' it don't work then why has EVERY mfgr changed over for over 25+ years to flarejets,wider sluices,over/under classification and huge dispersion curtains??? GOOGLE floatation cells and you'll see how remix floats away your gold. Water is H20- 1 hydrogen and 2 oxygen and tough to overcome floatation once smashed bashed crashed. Shake anything,see them bubbles same same in dredge. Thanx for the kind words fellas-in excruciating agony and not much patience at this point in time eatn' Norcos. Salesmen sell ......miners tell and try to help.....John :headbang:

Attachments

• 02-28-2013 07;15;44PM.JPG
    02-28-2013 07;15;44PM.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    403.3 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
I have suction nozzles and jet flaires for all my dredges they each have there place.99% I use my 4 inch proline with jet with Hoser Johns and Reed Lukins help I am set up with a over/under box and catch -200 gold with the Jet.I have a 2.5 semi flair/crash and bash that works well also.

When your out there mining on a hot day of the river, and not doin well, just quit!

And go join those neked hippie girls at the swimmin hole. You may just find something worth more than gold at the end of your hose!

i would do that but me ole bones wont let me down to the water! and if i jumped. i couldnt get back out without a little help from them young things!:):) maybe 3 or 4 of them! that would full fill my bucket list and i could die in peace then, with a smile on my face!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back