Dredge Maintenance

Indianametal

Feb 19, 2013
west central indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett ace250
This is probably something that should also be discussed with a manufacturer but since a search didnt bring anything up I thought I would start a thread here.

I have recently acquired a Keene 2" dredge from my uncle who is suffering from bad health. The dredge itself is about 10yrs old I believe and the engine runs top notch. There is no hour meter on it so I cant say how much use it has actually seen. But aside from typical engine maintenance is there any other maintenance on the pump I should be made aware of. How do you know when you need to change the carpet out? Is there anything I can rub on the hoses to help stop dry rot? Etc.

Don't run the pump without a supply of water to it....the seals are water lubricated. You will take out the pump seals if you run without water. Yo can run the unit a few minutes and then check the oil. If it looks discolored then better change it. Keep the hoses out of sunlight....if brittle they are at their end of life and you can still use them if you couple a length (6-8 ft) with new hose (6-8 ft) using the new hose at the suction end. If the carpet rips easy it is old and time for a change....but 10 years should be ok if it was not left out to weather.

I don't know of anything to rub on the hoses...but if there is a crack or two I use Shoe Goo to fix the bad spots. You can also wrap with clear rescue tape.

Bejay

What size engine and pump is on it? Measure inside diameter of pump both in/ouput sides.Is it on floats or pontoons? Are any of the hoses really dark/black-that's sunburn as cheap hoses lack proper UV protection akin to our skin. Look inside the footvalve for a rubber flapper-does it flap freely?? A picture is worth a 1,000 words so if ya can. ALSO where are you as a experienced dredger can ascertain condition within a few minutes and plenty of folks more than happy to assist you. Length of all hoses and sizes INTERNALLY also helps loads too. Is it a powerjet or suction nozzle(that has a short hose whereas a sn is a long one with a big U at the nozzle end.)-Answers begets info-John

Thanks for the replys!

John, i will get you your pictures, and measure the the hoses for you. Other than a couple pin holes by the pump i would say the hoses are in good condition. For the most part they are still clear i just wanna be certain they last as long as possible. The foot valve also works properly although i have found in shallow water where i cant let the hose hang all the way down its a pain to get primed. One hose size i do know and thats the pump output is 1.5" i only know this because i bought a new hose so i could hook the pump to my highbanker i am building. The nozzle is also a suction nozzle.

I have a lot of learning to do still the wife and i took it out for an hour last week and used it to get to the bottom of a winter highbanker hole. It caught the gold naturally but i think for the spot i should of had more fine flour gold. We are west central Indiana so I dont expect many pickers or nuggets.

The scale picture is the same hole same amount of time just with my mini highbanker.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140404_001328.png
    ForumRunner_20140404_001328.png
    106.7 KB · Views: 79
  • ForumRunner_20140404_001536.png
    ForumRunner_20140404_001536.png
    128 KB · Views: 72

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back