Dream double sestertius of Postumus or modern phantasy coin?

namxat

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dear All and especially the Roman coin experts,

I would like to hear some opinions on the attached coin or medal of Postumus. It has the size (3.3 cm) the weight (approx. 18 grams, don’t have no good scale here) that are described for double sestertii of Postumus, moreover a recent nick on the crown reveals brass/orchicalkum, so the material seems right, too. It is without doubt a found coin, no artificially aged piece.
No evidence or traces that it has been affixed to jewelry.
However……
Lettering on the obverse seems a bit odd.
There seems to be no RIC number or anything else for this type.
No lettering / inscription / on obverse, not even an SC or something.
Chariot Archers on a Roman Coin, never even heard of this. Esp. odd in the western Gallic provinces.
The only other example I have found is a 2015 The-saleroom listing, were it is described as Roman Postumus medal. :
https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/...0051/lot-8e7a91ad-09eb-4280-a2bd-a4f3011196ff

Its btw a very, very attractive piece, pics underestimate it.

Well, what you think? Dream coin or fairly modern phantasy piece?

Greets Namxat

reverse.jpg obverse.jpg

What is odd about the lettering on the obverse? I see "imp c postumus pf avg". A quick search show many coins with that lettering - however, none with the chariot archer except the saleroom piece you mention.

Do you have reason to believe this is a modern fantasy piece?

I will say that I would trust your eye better than mine on these ancient coins...

Upvote 0
Hi & Thanks for your answer!

With lettering I meant not the text, which is as you said pretty much standard. The letters however seem "thin" with not much serifs and a lot of space between them.

My reason to believe is that this is almost to good to be true: A roman coin that is so rare that it is not cataloged and only one pic in the internet?

From that on, I just keep looking very closely and found the things I find odd or at least remarkable. There are many things saying to me "genuine roman" but also a lot "hmmmm", especially the obverse.

Greets Namxat

Upvote 0
Modern is a relative term, but it's not an ancient piece. IMO (ie. not made during the Roman period) Probably 19th/20th C.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Gotta dream big

Yeah, kinda of. Even as 100 year watch fob its very nice and a keeper. Its soaking in distiled water and carefully cleaned with cotton one a day. It washes up very nicly and is loosing the black grud on the obverse to a large extent.

I found some 1820ies copper coins, yet this is imho the best find from this hunt, even if phantasy. Would have fitted from the location, too. One of the heartlands of the Gallic empire.

Why someone uses the relatively obscure Postumus for a phantasy coin instead of Augustus, Ceasar, Nero or the like is also beyond me.

Greets Namxat & thanks for the answers.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back