🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMG_8032.jpeg

Looking for some help identifying the eagle piece. Found near a bank barn foundation in the park woods, W PA. Found a pic online, but my piece has mounting holes.

Finds are from the last 8 hour’s hiking and swinging around old cellar hole sites. The gold pocket watch frame I believe is very heavy “gold filled”, but if anyone with knowledge can check the serial number, would be appreciated.

Thx for looking!

Attachments

• IMG_7946.jpeg
    IMG_7946.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_7970.jpeg
    IMG_7970.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_8038.jpeg
    IMG_8038.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_8025.jpeg
    IMG_8025.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_8028.jpeg
    IMG_8028.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_8029.jpeg
    IMG_8029.jpeg
    187.4 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_8035.jpeg
    IMG_8035.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_8034.jpeg
    IMG_8034.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_8037.jpeg
    IMG_8037.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 85
  • IMG_8036.jpeg
    IMG_8036.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 87
  • IMG_8033.jpeg
    IMG_8033.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 85
Upvote 29
View attachment 2114829
Looking for some help identifying the eagle piece. Found near a bank barn foundation in the park woods, W PA. Found a pic online, but my piece has mounting holes.

Finds are from the last 8 hour’s hiking and swinging around old cellar hole sites. The gold pocket watch frame I believe is very heavy “gold filled”, but if anyone with knowledge can check the serial number, would be appreciated.

Thx for looking!
What a great rounded hunt of coppers/silver/relics and possible gold.
Congrats on the recoveries.
What is the serial # on the case?

Thx!

Attachments

• IMG_8039.jpeg
    IMG_8039.jpeg
    888.8 KB · Views: 21
Seriously great finds- WOW! I've collected SLQs for half a century and love seeing them posted- the reverse of yours looked great and I thought there'd be a date, but regardless- just awesome!

Great group of finds Thad. The eagle piece is spectacular. I don't have a book on insignia since I find so little of it, but if post it on the Colonial/Early American Facebook forum I bet someone will be able to ID it.

View attachment 2114829

Thx for looking!
That eagle appears to be a model 1833 Dragoon helmet plate. Pictures in my "Army Blue" book by John Langellier show it with the Starburst background, as in your additional photos, but I did see some online without the starburst rays. Examples I found had two attaching loops on the back, but I didn't find any with mounting holes. I would make a guess that those holes aren't original and were added by someone to attach it to a display of some type. Very nice find.

Here's another reference with a photo of the dress hat with badge. If you can read the print to the left it says this plate was used from 1833 until 1851. This photo is in the book, "Encyclopedia of United States Army Insignia and Uniforms ".

Attachments

• 20231113_124904.jpg
    20231113_124904.jpg
    630.8 KB · Views: 15
View attachment 2114829

Thx for looking!
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back