Dowsing?

Maps you can make in Google Earth, save file in JPG format. Google maps, you could press the "prt scr" key (print screen) after opening paint program, then paste and save it.

Dowsing, historically has been used in treasure hunting, especially to narrow down the search area. I used to see a lot of articles in treasure magazines back in the late 1980s (on both map dowsing and L-rods). I've seen comments on TreasureNet forum claiming that Mel Fisher used a dowser to locate a pile of gold.

There are 2 types of basic tools, you can make yourself.
!. Pendulum or plummet, for map dowsing.
2. L-rods or forked green branch for dowsing on location of a site.

Various responses are observed by a dowser, then interpreted.

So the maps I see with the circles... they show where to Metal detect or dig?

So the maps I see with the circles... they show where to Metal detect or dig?
Some marked spots are for metal detecting, others could be Native American fkints, pottery, etc. Depending on what you need to find....it could be mineral deposits, artifacts, gemstones, historical sites, shipwrecks, buried treasure, tunnels, crude oil, signs/markers.

Generally, a dowser will try to mark things in different ways, so you understand the possibilities or types of targets.

Ok.... here are some map pictures I made. Are they right? Can you make a map from them please? Thanks!!!

-CC :)
EDIT: forgot the pictures!!! drowsing4.jpgdrowsing5.jpg

Last edited:
L-rods, the name for a pair of bent metal rods, used to pick up dowsed signals. Coat hangers have been used, but ferrous material is less conductive and becomes slightly magnetic if bent. Silver, copper, bronze, all make good L-rods, with handles or without them. I prefer light bronze, top length 10 1/2 - 11 3/4" custom bent without handles. L-rod users who like handles, have them in wood, copper, brass, or beads.

rods_TH2.jpg

On my rods, the other end is bent also, to point down but slightly forward.

Basically, you would walk, while a rod in each hand. Any movements or response, should be observed and interpreted. There have been a few threads explaining this, dowsing a gold claim is like dowsing anything else. The first link below, contain picture illustrations which show types of L-rod responses.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/dowsing/324929-placer-gold-dowsing.html

Another thread has videos on it.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/dowsing/327970-dowsing-gold-complete-experience.html

Might be at red circle, some loose coins or valuable old stuff, surface down to 1-2 ft deep, Green old stuff or archaeological.

drowsing4-Corroded_Copper.jpg

These signals, hard to tell if on a slope or in water.

drowsing5-crop.jpg

Thanks Red, I feel your presence here :) So tell me more about the other bend on the bottom. You know I never used handles until i was given the pair with them and I use them the most I guess just because they were given to me. Do you also put gold or whatever you're looking for on the rod? or was that you with the film container on them, I can't remember the post I read... You use light copper? From a welding shop or where can I find the copper to make some like yours? I have to try them, I've only used the coat hangers and willow or other wood. Have you ever thought about making your own from scratch? Like gathering the raw metal from the ground, then heating it into the wire and going from there? I have tons of magnetite all over the place here so I was thinking about making some from bare metals native to this area. A nice copper deposit is fairly close to me though I am still learning.

I'd use a nice fancy pair with handles, if they were given to me. Copper seems to be harder to locate a good source without added chemicals or other metals for welding. My rods are US Forge 3/32" thick bare bronze length 18". By using a heavy duty pair of pliers, scrap blue denim cloth, bending was easy except for the fancy bottom bends....those took a lot of time to get them right.

Bottom bends, a couple are made to rest along the lower edge of my hand. This allows walking uneven terrain or uphill at mining claims. No baits for me, I stay so focused that adding silver or gold jewelry to the rods, doesn't keep me from finding other stuff.

I use 3/16 brass rods..I make the handles 5 inches long...When I hold them I place the lower end of the handle in the short crease in my hand...I find that this keeps them wandering around...I like the heavier rods...Art

It says bare brass, I'm not sure what the difference is, if any it should be slightly higher in conductivity.

Yes, there is a difference in the various bottom bends, the way they feel. Actually only 2 styles conform to my lower hand.

rodbends4.JPG

The others may have another type bend, some to make them respond slower or lift up the rod slightly to keep them level.

rodbends2.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 737482

I get the top pic easily but the bottom pic has me in learning mode again. From left to right or clockwise, how are you using these. The c shape looks like it must rest under the thumb right? I've always balanced them into my hands like in my video, but this is just from natural learning myself with some pointers from a friend long ago.

View attachment 737483[/QUOTE]

Metal, water, pipe or whatever you are looking for. You can actually walk down a buried pipe with the rods in your hand and stay on top of the pipe the whole way just following the rod pulse.

Cool!! Now I just need to make rods.. would a coat hanger be OK for a beginner?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back