Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
reverse is normal. fail to eject fully??? help on what caused this please
half 1.jpeg
half 2.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image4.jpeg

Multiple die clashes. Elements of reverse and another obverse are present on obverse of coin. If the damage to the coin was present prior to minting, that could explain failure to properly eject from the die.

Just my opinion.

Time for more coffee.

Multiple die clashes. Elements of reverse and another obverse are present on obverse of coin. If the damage to the coin was present prior to minting, that could explain failure to properly eject from the die.

Just my opinion.

Time for more

my LCS provided the pics, he had no eye deer what caused this multi- cluster. I spotted the clash with full photos he emailed, still not getting the whole sequence this coin endured. hope he gets the customer to part with it. now I see the reverse is NOT NORMAL either. Lordy, what a mess, and messes mean MONEY!!!!

That is curious for sure. I have seen coins like this identified as a fake error made with soft dies, but I just can't figure out how that would happen! https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=385428 It looks like the coin is out of shape a bit, if that's the case I would lean toward some kind of alteration, but that's a tough one!

Maybe the die clash caused the obverse die to come loose and rotate? The coin stuck in the reverse die, stayed aligned with that, and was struck again with the now rotated and loose obverse die? An oddball for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back