Double Sided Axe

vonfatman

Jul 21, 2023
KCMO Area
Primary Interest:
Other
I am trying to but my techno. skills are not good - need to ask my grandson to help me. The pics come out too big for some reason. and I do not have skills to change my phone to take 'smaller' pics!

Well what do you know...it worked. Mr. Creekside, thanks for suggesting the pics.

Found this double-sided ax in one of the smaller feeder creeks on Saturday.
I had started a men's group for guys who like rock hunting and other stuff. Saturday was our kick-off group meeting. Mark, the guy holding the ax, was the only guy to show Saturday morning. When you snooze you lose. I will send this pic out in two weeks to all the guys listed in the group...any bets on attendance growing this next group meeting? ;-)

The lithic looks like our local Jasper. That made me happy. Perhaps it was made nearby?
vfm

Attachments

• IMG_6429 (1).jpeg
    IMG_6429 (1).jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 136
Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 15
:dontknow: No pictures?
I moved the thread because it was on the artifact experience thread and op was removing picture at same time so picture didn't move, he will add it back.

Looking forward to seeing it when the pictures upload
Should see it when he logs in, I sent him a PM requesting it with link to this thread.

Sure. A couple more photos....and thank you for the encouraging replies. It is the first axe that I have found. We have a couple local axes that a friend's wife "wanted gone".

They were found by her grandpa on his walks. They lived just north of us and when the Smithville Lake went in....the late 70's... I expect he walked where he thought the water would do some good at opening up past treasure. He did well.

My friend found himself busy organizing a "several family garage sale".
Right before the actual sale, my buddy suggested I drop by and see the "rocks" his wife was parting with at this sale.

I don't buy rocks. But I did that day. All the rocks and points etc. on the table were very local, from a longtime and known family....so I paid money for rocks.😩
The "internet had told her numbers way north of $500....my buddy had no skin in this one....so I figured if she didn't value her grandpas rocks, game on.

I started by giving them a quick glance. I pulled out $100 bill, laid it down and told her it was all I had with me. She had the money and was loading rocks....I suggested that she help her other customers as the rocks were now mine to load....she was treating them like gravel.😳

I will share photos of these too when time permits.
vfm

Attachments

• IMG_6438.jpeg
    IMG_6438.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6434.jpeg
    IMG_6434.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6433.jpeg
    IMG_6433.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6431.jpeg
    IMG_6431.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 46
Great artifact. Be a good skull splitter along with a number of other functions it could probably do.

I’d like to see the collection
Little ax is nice to. They call them Peanut Ax in my area. I’ve heard some people are lucky enough to find them but so far they have been hiding from me.

I really appreciate all the kind words and guidance.

Well heck, I was talking to my wife this morning, an artist - she has the best eye in the family. Rocks AND morel mushrooms she scoops them up!!
Man she is a keeper!
She mentioned finding what she thought was an axe! Wow. Two in a very few days! Well sure enough...it looks like an axe. I will post pics a bit later.

What a week.

Thanks again folks.

vfm

Here is the unit my wife found. Twice as large. Not much work has been done to it. Perhaps a "blank"? Ya never know. With all the chert exposed here, we see LOTS of blanks.

That crack would make me think before investing much time with that piece of chert.
I am thrilled she "sees" the shapes and sets them aside for me to take a peak. She sets them up on the larger rocks in the creekbed. Whenever rain is in the forecast, she asks if I have been down to check the piles she has made. Good girl.
I always look her finds over. Always.

Her find is made of our local "fossil rich" Jasper. Plenty of this lithic on site. Scads.

She found the buffalo vertebrae a couple days ago. They appear when the creek banks give-way. Teeth too. Kinda cool when folks say "well how do you know they were on this farm". ;-)

vfm

Attachments

• IMG_6485.jpeg
    IMG_6485.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6484.jpeg
    IMG_6484.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 34
I am trying to but my techno. skills are not good - need to ask my grandson to help me. The pics come out too big for some reason. and I do not have skills to change my phone to take 'smaller' pics!

Well what do you know...it worked. Mr. Creekside, thanks for suggesting the pics.

Found this double-sided ax in one of the smaller feeder creeks on Saturday.
I had started a men's group for guys who like rock hunting and other stuff. Saturday was our kick-off group meeting. Mark, the guy holding the ax, was the only guy to show Saturday morning. When you snooze you lose. I will send this pic out in two weeks to all the guys listed in the group...any bets on attendance growing this next group meeting? ;-)

The lithic looks like our local Jasper. That made me happy. Perhaps it was made nearby?
vfm
Wow!

Neat stuff that vertebra looks like it was right up near the skull, if you’ve got teeth too, there might be a nice skull nearby

Here is the unit my wife found. Twice as large. Not much work has been done to it. Perhaps a "blank"? Ya never know. With all the chert exposed here, we see LOTS of blanks.

That crack would make me think before investing much time with that piece of chert.
I am thrilled she "sees" the shapes and sets them aside for me to take a peak. She sets them up on the larger rocks in the creekbed. Whenever rain is in the forecast, she asks if I have been down to check the piles she has made. Good girl.
I always look her finds over. Always.

Her find is made of our local "fossil rich" Jasper. Plenty of this lithic on site. Scads.

She found the buffalo vertebrae a couple days ago. They appear when the creek banks give-way. Teeth too. Kinda cool when folks say "well how do you know they were on this farm". ;-)

vfm
Sometimes they will be lookalike rocks. These aren’t clear enough for my end to say either way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back