Double barrel shotgun parts

Old Finger

May 24, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I was detecting near a house site I believe to be somewhere between the late 1700 to early 1800's in the south shore area of Massachusetts. Today I found parts to a double barrel shotgun (i hope) right as it was getting dark so i didnt search around for to long after that but it is in a spot i have been detecting in before. All three pieces where in the same hole. Any way I would be be able to figure out what model it is? Don't believe there is any marking on it unless there under all the rust. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to see closer or different angle pictures I would be happy to upload more. Thanks alot 20181103_183754.jpg
20181103_183742.jpg
20181103_183737.jpg
20181103_183732.jpg
20181103_183719.jpg
20181103_183709.jpg
20181103_183706.jpg
20181103_183653.jpg
20181103_183635.jpg

so many different makers of double barrel percussion shotguns, I think a positive ID would be about like a needle in a haystack

Upvote 0
I'd either tumble your finds or use electrolysis to clean them up, there's likely to be a makers name hidden underneath. :thumbsup:
Dave

"The percussion rifle is a rifle that uses a percussion cap instead of older flintlock or matchlock variants. Faster reloading and fewer moving parts made this rifle more versatile and rugged compared to other single-shot rifles. The other advantage was that percussion caps were more reliable in bad weather, flintlocks and matchlocks rifles did not work well in rain.

The U.S. adopted the percussion system in 1841 and produced the M1841 Mississippi rifle that same year, made by Harper's Ferry Armorer, E. Whitney. This was a .54 caliber, 33-inch-barrel percussion rifle. The new arm was very popular, since it was accurate and easy to handle, and its browned barrel finish contrasting with the bright brass furniture gave it a pleasing appearance. It won fame in the Mexican–American War with Jefferson Davis's regiment of Mississippi riflemen at the battle of Buena Vista, and its continuing popularity was such that most Confederate rifle manufacturers later copied its overall style. Some were later converted to .58 caliber and fitted with long-range rear sights, but those used at Mill Springs seem to have been the original .54 caliber variety, which had simple notch rear sights. Many early percussion rifles were converted flintlock muskets. Percussion rifles were not made for very long, as percussion rifles were replaced in the 1860s by breech loading rifles, like trapdoor Springfields and the Snider-Enfield. The Dreyse needle gun that used a firing pin, not a percussion cap, showed that rate of fire of breech loading firing pin rifles was much higher."

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Cool find, might even be from over seas. A bunch were imported in the 1880s as a low cost utility shotgun without a name on them, just makers marks.

Upvote 0
The barrel probably ruptured and the stock was burned. I agree that electrolysis is your only hope of revealing anything stamped on the actions. This is a later patent shotgun probably made just prior to the advent of center fire technology. The earlier models had back action locks which weakened the stock considerably.

Congrats and good luck!

Upvote 0
Looking at the trigger guard I’m gonna say it might be British, usually the makers mark will be on the lock plates and possibly on the barrel. I does look like it was in a fire, but it is very cool, I like it

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back