Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra 505 / old bounty hunter quick draw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• image-2021174734.jpg
    image-2021174734.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 167
Looks like a woman's brooch pin. A picture of the back, and letting us know the size of it will help!

Upvote 0
This is the back and is about 1 inch both ways and really thin ...

Sent from my iPhone from redelf12

Attachments

• image-536367752.jpg
    image-536367752.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 137
Upvote 0
One more question...and a guess. Does it look like there was any other piece attached to it (maybe down at the opposite end of the "sterling")? If so, it resembles a half of an early baby rattle. Possibly late 1890's - 1920's. Another half would have been attached to your half and inside there would have been a couple of small, hockey puck shaped objects to make it rattle. This guess is only possible if it shows a place where a handle could have been and if the two pieces (when together) would provide a hollow inside compartment. Again, just a guess. The pointy edges on it would make it questionable for a rattle though...

Upvote 0
If you blow it up and look in the top it says sterling on it .. And I don't think so on rattle

Upvote 0
Very nice - and I would say, with respect, definitely not a baby's rattle.
I also first thought a brooch maybe, but an inch x inch seems a little too small.
It's definitely a nice piece of jewellery.

Maybe off a hat pin? earring?

The design looks, to me, to be from around 1900-1920's.
It would probably be best described as Art Deco and I'm pretty sure the flowers are Arum/Calla Lilies.

Mike

Upvote 0
I really don't believe it to be a rattle (unless the rest of the puzzle fits), but I do think we have the time frame down. I was told that this baby rattle dated from the late 1890's and it has the same "look & feel" of your piece. It is also marked sterling. Now we need to figure out what other items would have been made in a similar fashion. Although there does not look to be any sign of a pin or clasp on the back, it may have been constructed like the rattle and had the pin attached to a piece that is now missing.002.JPG

Upvote 0
Mike,
(Did you ring? :laughing7:) I agree with you. It looks like a piece that would have been on a Chatelaine. You're right on the time too as being Art Deco.
Nice find :)
Breezie

Upvote 0
Art Nouveau, Breezie?

a20792a13a2472e6ebcb41_m__39928.1349726911.213.213.JPG

Upvote 0
The isn't any real attachment points and it's almost paper thing ?

Upvote 0
There !!! Sorry

Upvote 0

Yes, Art Nouveau. I was thinking that it looked more 1920's as far as surface appearance/age is concerned, but the style is more Art Nouveau than Art Deco. Surf, am I gonna have to stay after school? LOL :) Breezie

Upvote 0
The isn't any real attachment points and it's almost paper thing ?

I'm still trying different ideas to search.
Given its light weight, another thought was perhaps a cartouche such as found attached to (for example) a liquor bottle or perfume bottle.
cartouche.jpg

And, in accordance with the post from surf, above - I'm tending to think it's probably from the earlier, art nouveau period, rather than art deco.

Mike

Upvote 0
Yes, Art Nouveau. I was thinking that it looked more 1920's as far as surface appearance/age is concerned, but the style is more Art Nouveau than Art Deco. Surf, am I gonna have to stay after school? LOL :) Breezie

I was writing my post while you posted this. I have to agree, it's probably earlier than art deco.

Cheers, Mike

Upvote 0
This is the back and is about 1 inch both ways and really thin ...

I'd go with a brooch as the round part of the pin attached to the left side of the item. There is types that are just pressed in and the silver work holds the looped part of the pin in place. The bottom of the pin image shows the looped end this also may of been done to prevent soldiering the sterling piece because of the thickness and being a pressed item it's quicker to assemble the piece.
images

Upvote 0
I was thinking a piece of a tussie mussie or posy pin.

xposy2.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back