Does anyone know what this is or if its Civil War era?

alabamajoe

Nov 25, 2007
Does anyone know what this is or if it's Civil War era?

Found items where I've dug several cw bullets. These items seem to be brass. Any ideas? Thanks!

The bottom peice measures almost 2" long but is pressed together on the wide end.

Attachments

• 11-12-2008 08;26;27AM.JPG
    11-12-2008 08;26;27AM.JPG
    10.1 KB · Views: 455
Re: Does anyone know what this is or if it's Civil War era?

Does the item on the bottom of the photo have two holes in the larger end? If so, it is likely a Scabbard Tip with the finial broken off. But you didn't post anything with them for size reference as requested--so it's hard to tell.

-Buckles

Upvote 0

the one looks like a sword scabbard tip end to me --buckle boy we replyed at the same time your replyand mine were at the same time however you "bumped" me by 47 seconds -- your quick on the draw today I see

Upvote 0

ivan salis said:
the one looks like a sword scabbard tip end to me

Is there an echo in here?

But I was thinking Bayonet scabbard tip. :wink:

Upvote 0

Is the bottom one really heavy like made of lead? if so I have one too! found at a shopping center which was built on a civil war battlefield.

Upvote 0

yep cw era knife/ bayonet case endor sword scabbard tip --to keep the sharp point from coming thru. -- nice find

Upvote 0

The two lead pieces at the top of the photo are the cleaning discs from separate Williams Cleaner bullets. The bottom piece if not a scabbard tip appears to me to possibly be a spent Burnside cartridge....???? maybe ???? It's hard to tell but the Burnside rifle brass cartridge was tapered with a hole in an indention at the base of the cartridge. Keep on looking around the areas where you found these. It looks like a good spot. Congratulations.

JRich

Upvote 0

Good eye B rich. too bad I didnt see it earlier,its whatsit was very clear, I have even shot a Burnside and owned one. Bob

Upvote 0

JRich98150 said:
The two lead pieces at the top of the photo are the cleaning discs from separate Williams Cleaner bullets. The bottom piece if not a scabbard tip appears to me to possibly be a spent Burnside cartridge....???? maybe ???? It's hard to tell but the Burnside rifle brass cartridge was tapered with a hole in an indention at the base of the cartridge. Keep on looking around the areas where you found these. It looks like a good spot. Congratulations.

JRich

By Gawd, You're RIGHT!

Doh! There's my Brain Fart of the Year!

This is the correct ID for all three items. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back