Does Anyone Know What These Are?

Spats

May 8, 2015
Central Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Can anyone help with these two identical brass pieces? They were both found in Civil War sites that also had more recent items. They measure 1.9" X .9" and have a small amount of silver plate remaining. They have small holes filled with rust in the second photo and have letters stamped where the heaviest plating remains in the second photo but I can'd make out the words. Any ideas? Thanks.

Attachments

• Unknown (1).JPG
    Unknown (1).JPG
    773.7 KB · Views: 131
  • Unknown (2).JPG
    Unknown (2).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 148
I think the stamp may say "PAT. APPLIED FOR", ("applied" being abbreviated in some way) which is of little help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They look like pieces that would hold the sling for weapons. That is just a guess though, someone will be definite with the ID.

Upvote 0
Thanks nhbenz for solving part of the mystery. Now that you suggested the lettering might be PAT APPLIED FOR, it looks correct to me also.

Kingskid, I had wondered if these could be carbine sling related because they do resemble part of the swivel, but I can't find any that are made like these two. They were found in two different CW campsites, so I hold out hope that they are from that era. The silver plating may actually be chrome which would make it more modern. Hope someone can give a definite ID. Thanks for weighing in.

Upvote 0
They appear to be something that would sit half below a surface (based on the flanges in the middle of the "uprights"). You showed us the bottom. What do the tops of the bails look like?

Upvote 0
Charlie P, here are the tops. The one on bottom is slightly pushed in as you can tell from the original photo taken from the side. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• Unknown (3).JPG
    Unknown (3).JPG
    860 KB · Views: 101
Upvote 0
Well I thought they were "strap locks"... Or strap "overlay" stays...

I looked thought TONS of CW stuff... poured through a bunch...

Anyway nothing CW.

MY GUESS... it is similar to this...I could only find a modern before I got "shot out" on searching...

images844YRV4J.jpg

Upvote 0
Possibly off a Grimsley saddle:

Attachments

• saddles.jpg
    saddles.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back