Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is there any updates on the search ? I read somewhere on the web that the cave was found and it had been excavated to 18 feet. It doesn’t make sense to me that they would need to go that deep, I mean really what kind of digging tools did they have in the 1700’s, and how deep can you dig in a cave until you hit solid rock. Can anyone hunt for this treasure or is it restricted to a certain few ?

Is there any updates on the search ? I read somewhere on the web that the cave was found and it had been excavated to 18 feet. It doesn’t make sense to me that they would need to go that deep, I mean really what kind of digging tools did they have in the 1700’s, and how deep can you dig in a cave until you hit solid rock. Can anyone hunt for this treasure or is it restricted to a certain few ?

Bucks County's notorious Doan Gang featured on Discovery's 'Expedition Unknown' tonight​

Story here on Discovery's Expedition Unknown

well I've hunted for it, so no this is not restricted to a few allowed. I've read every article I could find over 40 years and grew up in that area. The cave is a straight drop about 40-50' straight down in the Gorge in Ralph Stover park. So many people got injured trying to search that cave or get to it - they sealed it up. You can view from lookout spot off Wormansville road in Tinicum not far from Erwinna. It's on the opposing wall from lookout point of this horse shoe shaped gorge. Rock climbers love this area aka as Bucks County Gorge. It's a pretty cool site!

Now it is far more likely that Moses' brother who fled to Canada but returned briefly - retrieved that cache. He was seen standing at the Quaker Meetinghouse/graveyard in Plumstead on Point Pleasant Pike staring at a particular headstone inside small wall that surrounds church and graveyard.
There was evidence of some digging after that visit from Doan brother. Now why are headstones important. What better place to use to mark the burial of saddlebags with $50,000 in gold stolen from Newtown Treasury? Outlaws have used this trick for a long time. it's been shown in several Western movies, one was a Clint Eastwood 60's flick. As long as headstones are in place - easy to find.

The Doans were known of come to Dark Hallow after their robbery of the Newtown Treasury. They supposedly hid out in an old barn on Colonial farm there. I used to live on one of those properties and not far from the cave, and am pretty certain it is not there in either place. However, there are tales of them hiding the cache along Delaware River, close to south of Frenchtown Bridge on Pa side. And the tales continue to grow.

The Gorge is in Ralph Stover Park and anywhere along the creek and multiple caves supposedly in that area - would be a good place. Really good arrow head points have been found in the muck/silt of creek that goes through this area. A Mercer dig at Point Pleasant, Pa on Delaware River banks shows that the Lenape Indians lived there for 5000 years. They had abundant fish year around.

I believe it is most likely been retrieved by Doan's brother who fled to Canada and returned, but it may be still sitting exactly where it was stashed. You just never know! Good luck!

Last edited:
You're probably right, I just watched Josh Gates in there and personally I think they would've took the easy way and just buried it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back