Do you sell your finds

Rob-n-Texas

Jan 3, 2009
Round Rock TX
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Just curious...like alot of us here, money is tight and my wife and I are fond of garage sales and thrift stores. Is it too much time and effort to try and make money on this hobby. I know its gotta be hard and frustrating at times but could I make enough to pay my car note each month...You know, anything helps. And is Ebay the only way to flip your finds?

that is why i go to yard sales and estate sales...... i take my finds to the flea market every sunday....today was kinda slow didn't sell but about $80 worth......there are days when I sell $2-300 worth, depends on if I find anything good or how big the crowd is.......I also get to the flea market about 4:30 or 5 and try to buy more stuff before I set my stuff out......if you have the time to get out and hunt the stuff you could make a living doing it (and there are people that do).....you may not get rich but you could get by if you find the right stuff..... guy next to me today sold over $750 worth of antique wrought iron (he works at a scrap yard) and other assorted antiques and he usually does that just about every week....he has regular customers each week and he knows what to look for.....again you or anyone else can do this become a regular at the flea market and try to keep the same type of stuff (gotta have different / new merchandise about every week to keep people interested) you will have regular customers also....just remember that most of the people there are buying to resell too...... I try to make a little bit and let the buyer make a little bit as well.....that's about all I can think of right now....good luck

Last year I found a nice sized tin chest on the beach containing almost 75 pieces of costume jewelery and I was selling off the pieces in a flea market for $1-2.00 each. Not much, but that was found money in my book ;D

i do sell at flea markets...thers one at the county fair that lasts three days and is good!!!..i usually buy hotwheels and have a nice stok of them...i try to buy em in bulk for 5-10$ and sell em 2 for a dollar...if ya 3-4 hundred thats your profit and squally kids usually get their way...lololol...

Rob-n-Texas said:
but could I make enough to pay my car note each month...
I am helping put my daughter thru college. She has about 2/3 grants and scholarships. Garage sales completly pays for the balance and the books. Pre-vet animal science major is not cheap.

I resell at my own garage sale once a year, a bit of ebay, keep my eyes open for certain things, for certain people, started looking for more gold/silver jewelry & coins. It all adds up and you can certainly make a car payment by doing this weekends. I just went with my daughters looking for the right college for them to attend, it was a 10 day trip from NY to VA, Georgia, Florida and back again to Georgia, Pa, and then home . Gas, hotels, food, and other expenses were $1500, almost all of which was paid by reselling. My wife was actually impressed!!

very cool...we went to goodwill for the first time with reselling in mind. We bought a few things. It was pretty exicting, but we knew enough not to buy alot because of our lack of knowledge on alot of it. I did see a chippendale tray there. Didnt notice any marks other than the name. I might of missed it. So I left it. This weekend is the annual garage sale for a large retirement community. Maybe some good finds there :)...Thanks for all the help, you guys are great :icon_thumleft:

Rob-n-Texas said:
very cool...we went to goodwill for the first time with reselling in mind. We bought a few things.
Be carefull buying at the thrift stores, many out here know how to pull out the good silver and gold items and either sell on ebay or "sell" to a buddy.
I once spent two days hitting over 25 local thrifts. Any gold or silver was way overpriced or none at all.

j.raud said:
I resell at my own garage sale once a year, a bit of ebay, keep my eyes open for certain things, for certain people, started looking for more gold/silver jewelry & coins. It all adds up and you can certainly make a car payment by doing this weekends. I just went with my daughters looking for the right college for them to attend, it was a 10 day trip from NY to VA, Georgia, Florida and back again to Georgia, Pa, and then home . Gas, hotels, food, and other expenses were $1500, almost all of which was paid by reselling. My wife was actually impressed!!

Good going!! Since "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree"... remind you daughter to check-out the dorm dumpsters at Thanksgiving, as Christmas break starts, and really spend an hourly routine at the end of the school year... Small TV's, tool sets, fireworks, bookcases, etc. are all bought on "Daddy's credit card" but too big or too much to carry home in a packed car or on the plane...or admit to owning :>)

Bill

Between storage unit auctions and garage sales i make enough on ebay for my wife to buy gas and groceries. This forum has been a great place to learn what to look for. It's less of a gamble if you know your going to be able to make money off an item.

yes, i hit all the flea markets,yard sales,auctions ,etc.Also most people around here know i am the "junk collector" so when parents, grand parents pass away and they call to see i will take the stuff.I have been given a few boxes to whole households of stuff.I sell all i can on ebay and then have my own yard sale once a year to get rid of the stuff i can't sell.Though i work now, I made enough to stay home with my younger kids during their baby years .which was definately a treasure for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back