DIY Screen Shaker Stand

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With inspiration and design help from Garscale (thanks!), I built this to help me screen dirt from the private ranch where I found my first arrowhead. The stand measures 45”L x 32”W x 33”T. The screen box is 31-1/2” L x 23-1/2” W. The entire thing weighs 50 Lbs and fits in the back of my 4Runner with the rear seats flat. Ran a few test shovelfuls through it and it works well, especially in sandy soil. I’ve spent many hours surface hunting the property over the past month, and I’ve picked several likely spots to start digging. After 106-110 degree days last week, upper 90’s this week will feel like a cold front!

Attachments

• C33E89AC-C07E-437C-845F-89221AB3D5B3.jpeg
    C33E89AC-C07E-437C-845F-89221AB3D5B3.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 193
  • 0B1005A5-043F-41E1-8B5A-7994D8A4A148.jpeg
    0B1005A5-043F-41E1-8B5A-7994D8A4A148.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 169
  • 2B7BA48D-CC8E-4B4E-812B-94351ABC5998.jpg
    2B7BA48D-CC8E-4B4E-812B-94351ABC5998.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 130
Upvote 0
It looks like a piece of art.:thumbsup: do you have enough clearance between the screen frame and the outer frame to shake it vigorous enough in not so Sandy soils? I know I shake the heck out of mine and need space to do so

It looks like a piece of art.:thumbsup: do you have enough clearance between the screen frame and the outer frame to shake it vigorous enough in not so Sandy soils? I know I shake the heck out of mine and need space to do so

Thanks it is kind of gold plated, lol. Good question on the gap. I think the gap is enough (2-1/2” along the long side and 5” along the short sides), based on my field test. The springs are pretty strong (3/4” OD x 2” OAL, rated at 30.4 Lb each) and tight so there isn’t a large amount of lateral movement. I have a set of 18 Lb springs if I need more shake for darker dirt with a lot of clods, in which case I will have to be more mindful of the clearance. I actually thought I had made the screen box too small for the frame, but to your point now I’m glad I didn’t go larger.

I like it! We have a thread on here where everyone showed their sifters and set ups. Very smart to have the through bolts on the top screen. It gets a lot of pressure. Good luck and hope you find a bunch

Looks really brilliant, I would like to take a closer look, do you have a drawing?

Thanks! I modified it so many times that my drawing is really bad. I did put together a Materials & Cost sheet and was preparing a PowerPoint file so I could mark the materials and dimensions on photos of the contraption in case I ever had to build another one (I’m an engineer, what can I say?). I could send you the file when I am done or just send a pic of the Materials Cost sheet.

You have great building skills but it looks like a pain to dump the rocks out .

Thanks! Yes, rocks and sticks have to be scooped out by hand or with my metal detecting beach scoop (plastic dog food scoop with small drilled holes). I would not recommend using this on a gravel bar. Fortunately for me, my private ranch site is rock free except for the artifacts, lol.

Take one end out and place under screen then you can brush the small rocks out .

Yes and it may work exactly like he wants it to. Still with an objective eye, I can see that a hinged bottom with the screen and a latch or two could dump those rocks like a trap door. Another observation... if the screen frame starts hitting the corners of those legs, a round-over router bit would be a good tool to start removing some material. Just looking for easy improvements if necessary.

No sand in my area but plenty of rocks so a box screen is a pain .

Attachments

• P7070744.JPG
    P7070744.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 56
I helped him build it for screening sand. The only rocks in it are Indian so he needs to handle them anyway. He should have plenty clearance as the springs are tight and can be easily tightened to desired stiffness. If digging lots of clay or rock the top could be hinged or a slide plat put in one end to open and dump. I have used this design many years before getting spoiled to skid steer and power.

All good ideas everyone, thanks. Garscale is right only good rocks on this ranch. I test drove it this morning at the very end of our proposed dig site by shoveling about 1/2 cu-yd through it. All sand, nothing good unfortunately. But I am still optimistic. The contraption worked great. I suppose if I ever use it in rocky soil, I will modify it to dump the rocks easiest. I’m glad I posted this thread cuz you’ve all have given me something to think about.

One thing I didn't mention on getting the rocks out. If in a lot of rock or clay balls a rubber maid dust pan works perfect to scoop them and look em.

I brush across the screen with my hand one screen has an open end the other is flat just place on an angle and it cleans easy . Built on a old aluminum cot I can brush any direction my favorite found a lot of birdies hiding under the slate and shale .

Man. I really need to upgrade my sifter more along these lines. Thanks for the bump up. I’ve had to take a few months off on the cave sifting, but things are finally cooling off in my area and the ticks chiggers and mosquitos are starting to lessen up too. I’m stringed between two large trees for now, works but could be better. Also some sort of wash / rinse tub station may be in the works...think I miss stuff in all the muck I deal with from rainy wet cave dirt. Thanks again

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back