DIY power nozzle?

jeffrm20

Feb 21, 2013
CA Motherlode
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in the process of getting my 5" triple Keene set up. I have been researching power nozzles and for the price they are, I feel confident in building my own.

I can get 5"x.125" wall 6061 aluminum tubing for next to nothing along with 2" 6061 for the inlet side of the nozzle.

Is there any downside of building my own? I am confident with my fabrication skills as I also own an aluminum welder.

I figure as long as the angle is correct and where it joins into eachother is seamless in the inside I should be golden.

Ill take any advice, thanks!

i just built a 3 inch suction nozzel for "GoodGuy" on these forums. the only problem i had was finding someone that could bend my high pressure line at a close radius. i wanted a 3 inch radius but the place that did it for me could only do a 5 inch radius.BUT that was as good as i could find without paying "big bucks" and out of state to boot! inititially i was going to say you need to pass on useing alumiinum, but that 6061 is good, but itll never bend,to hard! UNLESS you make pie cuts in that tubeing and reweld it. TIG welding is very expensive todo even if you (and i) have your own equipment. then youll need to figure out what size to make the orfice for your hipressure water to the 5 inch tube.i dont know what that is! maybe someone with a 5 inch suction nozzel could look-n-see what it measures out tobe! or call a equipment (Keene, Proline,etc.)manufactor and ask them.and by all means, point that hipressure line right down the middel of your 5 inch.

That's why I'm going to build a power nozzle and not a suction nozzle. I will most likely be running twin pumps so it will be a dual inlet power nozzle.

I don't have the capabilities to bend a radius for a suction nozzle anyways :)

I've never used aluminum to build them, so I don't know if it would last. I used 5" muffler pipe the last time I built a 5" twin jet. Any truck place will have the piping.

That's why I'm going to build a power nozzle and not a suction nozzle. I will most likely be running twin pumps so it will be a dual inlet power nozzle.

I don't have the capabilities to bend a radius for a suction nozzle anyways :)
sorry Jeff,some people use different names for the samething! i thought you were refering to a SN! my mistake! but that Alum.(6061) should work because of its hardness.post a picture of it when its finished!im again assuming that the "power nozzel" is your jet log.

Rousseau no problem. I should have been more specific. I'd rather go with thickwalled aluminum die to no rust and weight. Plus I love how welds on aluminum look!

Guess it's worth a shot. I'll order up materials and post some pics. Thanks guys

Hi I have been building power jets professionally for a long time and use to use 6061 t6 and they do not last as long and would recommend using steel or stainless as the 6061 is not very strong When welded it looses all the temper and wears down very fast

With the pressure of a pump and that size of a power jet/ jet log it might not be a good seen after a while of using it

I got lucky and kuger sold me one he had stashed somewhere. I'm sure I'll thank myself later! Thanks for the input guys!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back