Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wasn't sure where to post this; if there's a better/more appropriate place, please relocate.

This morning I saw a video describing a DIY mosquito repellent that sounds intriguing if it works.
I've been looking for one I can use for metal detecting; I have some sensitivity to chemicals, so I'm always on the lookout for stuff like this that works.

Ingredients were few & simple:
  • Cinnamon oil
  • Vanilla extract
  • Witch Hazel (Alt.: Vodka)
  • Distilled water
Has anyone here tried this recipe, and does it work?

Do you have another that does work--or works better?

Thank you.

Upvote 3
Personally... i am a firm believer in the "swatters"... not only do they actually do something to help the mosquito problems but they also give you great satisfaction when you hear that zap.

Repellants do nothing but allow the mosquitos to continue on and breed.
repellents are great if you need to be outside for awhile etc...
but we all should collectively try and eliminate the little blood sucking disease carrying bastards.
It truly is the best choice.

For less than ten bucks you can get this at wally world... takes 2 AA batts.
Especially great for Inside the house or shed etc etc.

Still looking for one that hangs and takes em out by the hundreds.

Anyway... link for what i am talking about... they work great... own at least 3 of them...

When they get thick around here I resort to the hand loaded 12ga mags. 2 oz #20 fine shot with special spreader wads in a no choke short barrel. Really pokes a hole in the cloud. With the high capacity drum you can get creative and write your name in the cloud.

433cb2c783a02c2da7459fbb2fb62302.jpg

Wasn't sure where to post this; if there's a better/more appropriate place, please relocate.

This morning I saw a video describing a DIY mosquito repellent that sounds intriguing if it works.
I've been looking for one I can use for metal detecting; I have some sensitivity to chemicals, so I'm always on the lookout for stuff like this that works.

Ingredients were few & simple:
  • Cinnamon oil
  • Vanilla extract
  • Witch Hazel (Alt.: Vodka)
  • Distilled water
Has anyone here tried this recipe, and does it work?

Do you have another that does work--or works better?

Thank you.

:happy1:

I've heard that mosquitos don't like the smell of coconut either. Not sure if that true or not.

We keep cut half limes,stuck full with cloves outside where we sit and by our doors to keep them from congregating as they wait to sneak in.....works well but I prefer the limes in my margaritas.

Reactions: ARC
When they get thick around here I resort to the hand loaded 12ga mags. 2 oz #20 fine shot with special spreader wads in a no choke short barrel. Really pokes a hole in the cloud. With the high capacity drum you can get creative and write your name in the cloud.

Yes indeed a man that thinks like me.lol imm still trying to get my hands on a thermobaric bomb I don't have to drop from a plane.

You might say that's overkill but all's fair in love n war and they are nature's WMD's 😆

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back