Diving Anyone

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
I found this on an old farm site (1864 - ). It isn't that old and looks familiar but I can't seem to match it to anything I have access to. The diver is attached with an iron bolt. She is not attached tightly. This indicates to me that it was some sort of relief valve for water, steam, etc. She is heavy and made of lead (I think). The threads are male with no gasket rim so the pressure would not be that great. Anybody remember this from days gone by?

Thanks,

Daryl

Attachments

• farm1.jpg
    farm1.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 351
Looks like radiator cap to a Model T

Upvote 0
I knew the Model T radiator caps had the 4 "nubs" but had never seen one with an ornament. So where do you swipe a lead nude diver to put on your radiator cap. Hmmm?

Daryl

Upvote 0
I might add that original ones in good condition go for big bucks! $$$
Yours would fetch a respectable sum from an old car freak home made or not..
DG

Upvote 0
If it hadn't have had the "Diver" attached to it, I probably would have tossed it. Curiosity just got to me. I had no idea it was a Model T anything. That was one thing that was good about the hunt in the UK. The guy running the tour said never throw anything away before he looks at it. What you think is junk may be a one of a kind Saxon or Celtic ornament worthy of a museum. Maybe some of that stuck when I came back.

Problem now is that I have to bring it home, photograph it, and let someone tell me what it is. Fun but lots of work for the people on TN.

Daryl

Upvote 0
Thanks. Problem is, I can't keep it. I'm working with the county historical society on their Century Farm Project. I find the farms and they get me access to hunt. All the neat stuff is going in a special case at the historical society that has artifacts from the farms. It'll have my name on it and all and I do get to hunt all these neat farms for the next couple of years but the stuff has to go on display. That's probably the best anyway. I do it for the hunt and now somebody else shows off my finds to a whole lot of people.

Daryl

Upvote 0
Daryl,

I don't know about the others but I find it is a lot of fun trying to figure out what some of the stuff is that gets posted in "What is it?" Besides, it gives us the chance to "learn something new" ;D

Upvote 0
Nice find Prof. I've never seen one like that before. Great job you are doing working with the historical society. It might be a lot of work now, but the rewards are worth it in the end. Keep it up.

Upvote 0
BioProfessor said:
I really like it too. It's fun. Now about those Piggnuts......

Daryl

Wow Daryl, the bad dreams were finally over and you had to remind me! :)

Nice find, I like the idea of the finds getting displayed for everyone to enjoy. I recently got permission to hunt a century farm myself and hope I have good luck there. HH

Charlie

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back