Dishonesty Circa 1890 & Any Ideas?

Royn2751

Jan 14, 2017
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out early to the same old park that keeps coughing up "treasures". The ring was a nice surprise however it became a little disconcerting when I got it cleaned up. It is a man's signet, clearly brass or copper. It was undoubtedly gold plated and stone set originally. What threw me was it's hand engraved inside C to F and stamped 14k in the shank. I thought about the woman who saved her money to gift her husband or beau. An unscrupulous jeweler took her money, engraved the message and she was none the wiser. 120-140 years later it was under my coil. I felt sad instead of the usual elation of a good find.
The cap is aluminum. It was folded in half and I straightened it as much as I dared. I believe it is marked LP Co. I couldn't come up with anything on Google. The font leads me to believe it is also pre 1900.
If anyone knows what it may be and anything about LP Co I'd appreciate it. View attachment 1840851View attachment 1840852View attachment 1840853 20200612_210248.jpg20200612_213646.jpg

Upvote 6
It looks to me like it's "EP Co". Rip offs in all time periods. I read about a counterfeiting operation from the 1890's that made fake Morgan dollars so good they passed. Gary

it's a lid from a jar of Pond's cold cream. Has the logo of the Pond's Extract Co. circa 1920's

Thanks Jewelerguy. You nailed it.

Attachments don't work.....where's a photo of the ring?

Interesting piece! :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back