Discovered today in the trunk!

seraphimsteph

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2011
Guilford, CT

I've had this medallion/medal in my family for some time. It belonged to my great uncle that now suffers from Alzheimer's Disease. Can anyone help be identify this? my only knowledge is that this was dear to him and I remember him placing it in each vehicle that he drove. He hung it from the mirror. That's all I know. There are no visible Maker's Marks that I can see.

Thank You for your time and help with this!

Attachments

• roman1.jpg
    roman1.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 687
Here is a smaller photo. No Idea, but neat!

Attachments

• small.jpg
    small.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 707
Upvote 0
Can't help you with this one. But someone will! Welcome to the forum.
I resized it, but Creskol beat me to it.
HH,
Bunker

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum. It's a good place.

You'll soon discover that there may be more information on the back of an object than the front. So a picture of the back would be nice.

Daryl

Upvote 0
Thank you for re-sizing the pic and helping me along. I tried to post this numerous times, had to restructure my computers security to "listen" to the code before I could even register! It's been over an hour on my laptop. THANK YOU AGAIN AND I'M SO GLAD that I finally found this great site!

Upvote 0
as already stated, need a photo of the back.
Appears to be silver with the green being enamel. The item appears to be machine stamped and then enameled.
A quick guess would be from the 40s or 50s, maybe into the 60s.

Upvote 0
Re: Discovered today in the trunk! New pix

Here is a pix of the back resized.
Hope it helps.
Bunker

Attachments

• roman22a.jpg
    roman22a.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 618
Upvote 0
It's not that heavy...and is about 3 inches wide (from point of point of the star).
the chain is a little over 9 inches long. After all my searching...the closest thing that resembles this is here: http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/greek-roman-bronze-silver-chain-74798681
may NOT be the same but I believe they are both Greek. The gorgon (Medussa- like) and the Greek soldier I believe is pictured on the medallion that I have. The chains look alike - - but again, one may have nothing to do with the other. Maybe there was a set of Greek medallions (Although my family HAS NO GREEK HERITAGE) Just sharing what I've found. =)

Upvote 0
looks to be a greek type --hero type soldier * from days of old -- is your family back ground --greek or italian ? --it could be a ethnic pride type of item -(a famous mythical or real hero of the past)-- the old family ties --to greece / italy

Upvote 0
Well no marks as you said . It does show some green corrosion on the back witch says it is not silver.
I would say costume jewelry. Agreed with ivan salis of the Greek motif.
Now since the use of a brass jump ring, is was placed on the chain most likely at a later date. Any marks on the chain??

Upvote 0
Maybe a generic Greek head used for jewellry. I think Gemee may be on the right track.

Upvote 0
Call me a Plumber said:
Dear seraphimsteph, was your uncle in WW2 and or a legionaire at some time in his life. Just a thought. The Plumber.

The Plumber,

My great uncle did serve in WW2 - Not sure of the division. He was married but it was not of character for him to purchase ANYTHING for him or his wife! THEY SAVED EVERY DIME! =)
Do you think this was an award? and for what perhaps?

Upvote 0
ivan salis said:
looks to be a greek type --hero type soldier * from days of old -- is your family back ground --greek or italian ? --it could be a ethnic pride type of item -(a famous mythical or real hero of the past)-- the old family ties --to greece / italy

Ivan,

We do have family that came over from Italy. My entire family is of Italian decent. 1/2 Naples and the other 1/2 Sicily. This side is my mother's side from Naples.

Upvote 0
Was his High School or College team the Spartans, or something like that? It's not a religious medal.

Probably just something that someone special to him gave him, so it became special by association. A "lucky piece".

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back