Dirty coins

forum_old-48.png
[h=2]Cleaning & Preservation this forum is where to get the knowledge you seek[/h]

I throw all of my non-valuable coins in a rock tumbler with pea gravel, water, and a drop of dish soap and they come out looking beautiful.

Do pennies separate from silver colored coins because the pennies will discolor them (unless you don't care about that).

I throw all of my non-valuable coins in a rock tumbler with pea gravel, water, and a drop of dish soap and they come out looking beautiful.

Do pennies separate from silver colored coins because the pennies will discolor them (unless you don't care about that).

Why not just place them in a metal grinder and destroy any potential Key Date and any other valuable coins??!!:icon_scratch: If you can't make out the dates or details, you don't know if they are valuable or not!

Frank

Why not just place them in a metal grinder and destroy any potential Key Date and any other valuable coins??!!:icon_scratch: If you can't make out the dates or details, you don't know if they are valuable or not!

I suspect mr helton means clad coins with no premium value, particularly since he writes, "I throw all of my non-valuable coins in a rock tumbler." [my emphasis]

If you've got something that you cannot identify or an older coin (wheat, Indian head, Buffalo, etc.) with an obscured date, try taking a toothpick to it first to get a look.

Rock tumblers are they easy to use

I don't like to wipe dirt away I wait till L get home

I tumble mine, then take to the bank to cash in, then go buy silver.

Same here. I wash them, tumble them, wrap them, love them, call them George, then turn them into the bank for $$$ Cash Money $$$!

I roll mine after cleaning with soap and water with change I get in circulation and deposit them in the bank. Never get a hassle. Unfortunately, zincolns look like rat bit crackers after I find them. Have a box of them

The really toasted zincolns we collect at the club meeting and will ship to Fed Reserve when we have enough. They are required to take them in any condition.

I tumble mine, then take to the bank to cash in, then go buy silver.

You've just given me a new plan to implement; effective immediately (or whenever this 2 1/2 feet of snow is gone and I can hunt again). That's brilliant.

It's funny. I'll spend any amount of gas and battery money and hours, days weeks or months to find a silver coin I could buy for 5 bucks. Of course that's part of the fun; the thrill of the hunt. Now I'll start converting my clad directly to silver. I can't believe I never thought of that. How dense am I??

You've just given me a new plan to implement; effective immediately (or whenever this 2 1/2 feet of snow is gone and I can hunt again). That's brilliant.

It's funny. I'll spend any amount of gas and battery money and hours, days weeks or months to find a silver coin I could buy for 5 bucks. Of course that's part of the fun; the thrill of the hunt. Now I'll start converting my clad directly to silver. I can't believe I never thought of that. How dense am I??
Your not dense Garrett, the thought just never crossed your mind. Thats what makes this forum fun. We can all learn something every now & then. I have my dad to thank for doing it the way I do. He started teaching me about buying silver & gold when I was a mere 12 years old. I am now 52. He used to teach me how to get rid of the "funny money" & invest in hard assets. Any extra coins that I get from treasure hunting or elsewhere, goes towards this theory. I will not rely or depend on the government to support me in my retirement years ( which by the way are now ). When the American dollar becomes worthless, I will have a leg up on the situation & be able to survive. If it doesnt happen in my lifetime, then my kids will be able to survive. Read an excellent book called " Whatever happened to Penny Candy". Its a simple read, easy to understand, & most of all it is happening to us right now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back