Digging nickel signals: Civil war heel plate?

Georgivs

Bronze Member
May 16, 2018
Athens Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back to the park after a lil rain and digging more nickel/ foil signals. Seems like the rain makes the foil sound better. Found an actual nickel this time and two zincolns as well as a recently dropped junk ring. I love finding spoons and the old snuff bottles too, I've got quite a collection now.
20231113_212726.jpg

Was just browsing other posts and realized this weird brass bit is a heel plate! I thought it was maybe a clock piece but couldn't explain the weird wear patter. Some similar ones are listed as being civil war, and I have found a percussion lock, powder flask parts, and other interesting period bits around the area.
20231113_212734.jpg

Of course I dug tons of foil and some pretty big cast iron bits as well. (wife won't let me take their pic on the kitchen counter)

20231113_212453.jpg

Thanks for looking and happy hunting

Upvote 15
Back to the park after a lil rain and digging more nickel/ foil signals. Seems like the rain makes the foil sound better. Found an actual nickel this time and two zincolns as well as a recently dropped junk ring. I love finding spoons and the old snuff bottles too, I've got quite a collection now.
View attachment 2115051

Was just browsing other posts and realized this weird brass bit is a heel plate! I thought it was maybe a clock piece but couldn't explain the weird wear patter. Some similar ones are listed as being civil war, and I have found a percussion lock, powder flask parts, and other interesting period bits around the area.
View attachment 2115053

Of course I dug tons of foil and some pretty big cast iron bits as well. (wife won't let me take their pic on the kitchen counter)

View attachment 2115052

Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Nice Saves. I really like the heel plate.

View attachment 2115051

View attachment 2115053

View attachment 2115052

Good job. Nice finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back