Difference of opinion

Kenigma

Jul 31, 2020
Pima, AZ
Detector(s) used
A cheapy I just picked up.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a couple differences in opinion on what this is. Found in Safford, AZ, which is in the SE part of AZ. IMG_20200727_020349031.jpgIMG_20200731_082938154.jpgIMG_20200727_020416684.jpgIMG_20200727_020429837.jpgIMG_20200727_020326775.jpg

A pestle/mano seems like a reasonable guess. It was probably worn out and tossed.

Upvote 0
Pestle.
Neither end is broken ... rather, they are smooth from fine grinding.
Doubt if it was discarded. It's fully functional at both ends.
Pestles are often larger and heavier, associated with acorns.
This one looks like it was used on finer seeds.
More light grinding and rotating, as opposed to the pounding motion used with larger pestles on acorns.

Upvote 0
Regarding the ID, I'll defer to those who know about these things but I'd like to say welcome to T-Net and thank you for sharing with us.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the welcome everybody! I actually go out in the desert about 6 nights a week. So I am sure I will be sharing more in the future. Is there anything I should look out for as far as noticing potential hotspots from a distance? Because, when I am out there I have a headlamp on and I am looking down in the 3x3' lighted circle. But I scout during the day so I can look for certain things if I knew what those were. ;P

Upvote 0
small mano for medicine and/or paint-making

Upvote 0
Thank you. That was one of the other suggestions that I hadn't considered and why this whole thing started. I had never heard of or thought about things like that. To make paints and whatnot. Somebody said that, and it changed my whole outlook on what other things I just dont know about. lol

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum Kenigma.

I suggest that you make another post about this in the "North American Indian artifacts" sub-forum here on this site, you need to scroll down to Artifact Forums
sub-section to find it.

Upvote 0
small mano for medicine and/or paint-making

This grindstone tool, may have been used in a couple of ways; grinding and pounding.
The "pecked" end surface from hammering stuff, and, the very smooth and flat side, was
the grinding surface.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back