Did they use shotguns ?

I know that in McKee & Mason bullet book M&M 64,M&M 65 and M&M 66 are listed as double barrel rifle or shotgun.So I would say yes they had double barrel shotguns during the CW.Also they were used by the CSA.

fortbball9

Most definitely. Especially the CS cavalry.
Mike

A passage from a Civil War Soldiers (CSA) diary, recalling the affair at Ivy Mountain (Creek), Kentucky:

"A detail of 116 men was selected from among those assembled at our camp to go out and engage the enemy from the mountain side. Nearly all our men in the detail were armed with double-barreled shot guns, and we had prepared cartridges, each containing eleven buckshot, so that such a charge would be effective at short range."

The result: 160 killed and 500 wounded

WOW - Awesome !
As far as i know in the old west they used more the two Barrel Shotguns
more frecuently than the well - known Winchesters as well.
Thank you :thumbsup:
HH.
Miguel

Hi Ya Miguel.....This is one I found about a month ago.It's a CS Slug that was found at Antietam while hunting some of the field's.My best piece of lead ever....could bring as much as $150 :thumbsup:

Attachments

• P3140045.JPG
    P3140045.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 681
  • P3140045.JPG
    P3140045.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 658
Civilman1
that is a very nice slug,I have one like that but nowhere in that condition.

fortbball9

Civilman1,
That was a very good find ! :thumbsup:
I wouldn't imagine what kind of wound such a projectil could cause ::) :(
By that kind of shot there must have been a mighty recoil of the shotgun !
Hope you get a very good price for that very rare item. :icon_sunny:
Regards,
miguel

PS.: I found this high impact shotgun bullet .Certainly not a very old one but similar
as the one you found.

Attachments

• bullet 2.jpg
    bullet 2.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 671
you bet they used shotguns --esp confederate calvary troops --they used sawed off double barrels at up close and personal range with buckshot from horse back to clear off union nfantry as they tried to mob em -- they worked very well for that .

a 12 gauge long barreled shotgun could use buckshot (if the action was to be up close) or they could use a 69 cal round ball or a slug for more range ( buckshot was normally used if sawed off since it was a close quarters only type weapon )

ivan salis said:
you bet they used shotguns --esp confederate calvary troops --they used sawed off double barrels at up close and personal range with buckshot from horse back to clear off union nfantry as they tried to mob em -- they worked very well for that .

a 12 gauge long barreled shotgun could use buckshot (if the action was to be up close) or they could use a 69 cal round ball or a slug for more range ( buckshot was normally used if sawed off since it was a close quarters only type weapon )
Thanks Ivan for the addicional information :thumbsup:
If you find a better Pic of these guns,please post it here .
HH
Mike

New to this forum so real late posting on this topic.

Yes, they did use shotguns. Check some of the history of the CW in New Mexico. During the battle of Val Verde the Confederates put their shotguns to effictive use by charging Cpt. McRay's artillery battery across 700 yards of open ground. When they were close enough they emptied their shotguns, then drew their revolvers and continued the fight, capturing the battery.

Hope this helps.

Happy hunting.

me told you they used shotguns --me no lie. :read2: :wink: :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back